Best NLE Program for Higher-End Windows XP 64?

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Best NLE Program for Higher-End Windows XP 64?

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:34 pm

So after trudging along with my old machine for six years (well past the point where I should have upgraded) I went gung-ho in making a new one. Given I didn't want to deal with Vista or a 3 gigabyte ram cap I opted for Windows XP Profession 64-bit.

Well, now I need to find out which software package works the best in my familiar but still new environment. I was running Adobe Premiere Professional 1.5 before (learned on Adobe Premiere 5.0, spent more time on Final Cut Professional than either of those) and given I don't feel married to it and will probably be buying new software anyway...

What nonlinear editing software do you guys recommend to someone with a XP 64 machine with six gigabytes of DDR3 ram and a dual-core 3.0 ghz athlon processor? I'd hate to unnecessarily nerf this thing with inefficient software after spending a month putting it together.

I'm asking purely in terms of efficiency and stability here. I've been bouncing between NLEs for years and I'm willing to deal with a learning curve if it has a greater pay-off. I'm defaulting in favor of one of the variations of Premiere given I'm currently (still) learning After Effects on my work machine and want the software to get along.
Animazement AMV Contest Coordinator
http://www.animazement.org
Amv@animazement.org

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:40 pm

I still stick with premiere pro, but I don't really find it to be very stable, and a ton of things about it annoy me.
A lot of people swear by Vegas these days, but I could never get the hang of that thing, as it's just so different from anything else.

Sadly, I've never really come across a really good NLE on windows :\

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 pm

it's a matter of preference, download the trials and figure out which one you like better.

Side Swipe
Org Profile

Post by Side Swipe » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm rinning a dual core 3.0 Ghz like you only 2 Gb ram though and I dont see any instability issues with Premire pro. I love it... Very easy to use too... almost intuitive especially once you get used to it. and the fact that is has that wonderfull connectivity with after effects that they put in special... I think will make it even easier so go between the 2... but thats just me and what do I know... I don't even hardly know how to use AviSynth yet... Sigh I with there was a tutorial for that... I digress.

My vote stick to Premiere pro

Cheers

Loop's

Return to “Video & Audio Help”