Movix

TaranT
Org Profile

Movix

Post by TaranT » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:08 am

The MoviX project is a series of three different tiny Linux CD distributions containing all the software to boot from a CD and play multimedia files through the MPlayer, the best multimedia player in the Unix world:

eMoviX: a micro Linux distro meant to be embedded in a CD together with all video/audio files you want, so that the CD will be able to boot and automagically play all files;

MoviX: a mini CD Linux distro able to boot directly from CD and load in RAM a console interface to MPlayer. From the interface you can easily play DVDs, VCDs, audio/video files Audio CD, internet radios, TV, you name it!

MoviX2:same as MoviX, but it makes use of X and makes use of the nice MPlayer GUI.

Supported formats are all formats supported by MPlayer, most noticeably DivX and XviD but more in general any AVI, MPG, QuickTime, WMV, ASF, MP3, OGG/VORBIS and a few others.
More info here: MoviX at SourceForge

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:55 am

I gave eMoviX a spin about a month or so ago -- wanted to use it for a bunch of CDs I was going to distribute at AX2003.

It worked fine, and achieved some pretty nice framerates on the XviD and MPEG-1 files I included, especially considering that eMoviX (not MoviX) goes through the framebuffer to do video display (which as I'm guessing you know is slow as hell compared to modern accelerated methods).

I never actually ended up using it though -- I tried to customize the LILO boot banner, and I don't know if I messed up the dimensions, used the wrong colormap, or what, but it ended up making the thing look horrific. By then I had to leave for AX, so it was kinda a "fuck it and I'll just burn 'em the old boring way" :/

The point of this story...meh, I dunno. It was an eMoviX-related story and I guess I had to post it somewhere, since you managed to dredge it up :P

But yeah, I'd also recommend everyone technically able to play around with this thing to do so. At the very least, it's a neat gimmick.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”