XviD versus MPEG1 or MPEG2

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:22 pm

ok... that is somethign new to the mpeg-4 spec since i worked with it then...

MPEG-4 was targeted for internet distrobution... though its container format is very flexible (its simmiler to quicktime)... so i could see very easily it being used for video editing in the future...

MPEG-4 simple profile or advanced simple profile are both 10 megabits per second maximum.... the rest of the ideo profiles were ot finalized when i started coding an mpeg-4 toolkit... and other video profiles were more targeted for even lower bitrates than simple and advanced simple... plus wavelet was on the table for discussion... talk about a 180 degree turn around if they add a lossless...

the best thing they could do would be to add mpeg-1 video layer, and mpeg-2 video layer to the container format... then add a YUV and RGB uncompressed... then maybe a lossless (ala huffyuv or losless jpeg)...

alot of options once you change the scope of mpeg-4

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:32 pm

mpeg-4 container is great. It's a shame it hasnt been getting more software support than it has.

Patents, I suppose :P

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:56 pm

with h.264 frozen maybe mpeg 4 will finally be finished and go somewhere as a spec
but like I said, that'll happen as soon as HDTV becomes mainstream :roll:
◔ ◡ ◔

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:06 pm

HDTV broadcast and MPEG-2 are tied at the hip

MPEG-3 was oroginally aimed at DVB and HDTV digital broadcasts...

MPEG-2 absorbed MPEG-3... so I susspect that HDTV brodcasts will remain in MPEG-2 for a good long while with out transitioning into MPEG-4...

Now that ian mentions it... a compleatly opensource editing/authoring program based on MPEG-4 would kick much ass... after the company i was working for went tits up I stoped working with MPEG-4...

does anytbody have a fully compliant MPEG-4 authoring package.... besides just video codecs? liek the compleate implimentation? that would be a fun thing... embeding the menu into the video stream

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:11 pm

I know about HDTV, I was referencing the fact that it's taking forever to get off the ground, same as mpeg 4 as an actual standard and not a bunch of obscure (in comparison to a standard like mpeg 1) vfw codecs.
◔ ◡ ◔

Return to “Video & Audio Help”