Trasparancy using image matte on 4 layers

CHWOODYARD
Org Profile

Post by CHWOODYARD » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:03 am

Umm... hey kmv, how do you make the image matte that you made on the first page of this thread move? Like if I wanted that Image matte bar to move from the top to the bottom.
Hell is something that parents made up to scare kids, like the Boogie Man or........Micheal Jackson.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:05 am

If I understand you correctly, you want to have a sold colour on the screen with a shape moving around, and as the shape moves it reveals the clip under it. Kind of like a shinning a torch* around in a darkened room. Right?
  • Create an image of the sold colour and you cut out the shape that will be revealing stuff. The cut out should be transparent. Save it as a PSD.
  • Then you import the PSD and place it on the timeline on the topmost video layer. Premiere should have auto-set the transparency settings for you, but if you want to check the key type should be set to Alpha-Channel.
  • Now use the motion controls to move the image around the screen.
  • Render and enjoy.
NOTE:
The image you create will need to be much larger than the video resolution; otherwise as soon as the edge of the image enters the video area the clip underneath will start to show. To work correctly your image will need a resolution that is three times (3*x by 3*y) your video resolution. This will also mean that you should tell Premiere to use the images aspect ratio, not the videos.

Think of it like a big piece of card with a hole cut in it, and you are moving the card around.

* A torch is a flashlight.

CHWOODYARD
Org Profile

Post by CHWOODYARD » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:16 pm

I am asking this only as an inquery for later use.

I am trying to use a white background with a rounded rectangle as the cut out for the video. I made the transparent rectangle in the center of the image. I saved the rectangle psd as a 2160 x 1140 pixel image (3 times the video). The rectangle's image is an Alpha Channel. I tried to do what you said kmv and motion the rectangle to move from appearing a top the video to disappearing at the bottom of the video. When I tried this the outer edges of the white background would show during the motion.[/img]
Hell is something that parents made up to scare kids, like the Boogie Man or........Micheal Jackson.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:02 pm

Hmm... You're right. I could have sworn that used to work under 6.0 [sigh]

So it seems that if the image resolution is larger than the video resolution Premiere will always resize the image and ignore the "lock image aspect ratio" and "force aspect ratio" combination. :roll:

Never mind, there is another way of doing it - in the motion controls set the zoom to 200% at each motion point and it will work.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”