VirtualDub job queueing is slow

SilkAMV
Org Profile

VirtualDub job queueing is slow

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am

This is a very strange issue. I can convert a 20 minute 1080p episode to Lagarith in 10 minutes. But if I try and batch convert using job control, It's literally hundreds of times slower, well over a day per episode. This problem has plagued me across multiple projects with multiple video sources. I can't just queue up every episode of a show and leave it alone for a few hours. I have to convert each one individually, and manually start each one when the other is finished. I've looked online and I can't find anyone else with this issue.

I'm using VirtualDub 1.10.4.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDub job queueing is slow

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 am

You could try VirtualDub2 to see if the updates they made fixes this issue or AMVtool if you're converting to Ut Video.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:07 am

SilkAMV wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am
This is a very strange issue. I can convert a 20 minute 1080p episode to Lagarith in 10 minutes. But if I try and batch convert using job control, It's literally hundreds of times slower, well over a day per episode. This problem has plagued me across multiple projects with multiple video sources. I can't just queue up every episode of a show and leave it alone for a few hours. I have to convert each one individually, and manually start each one when the other is finished. I've looked online and I can't find anyone else with this issue.

I'm using VirtualDub 1.10.4.
Are you using "Save as" to add each job to the Job Control individually? If so then that may be the problem. I've never had any issues when I've used the Batch Wizard to add all the jobs at once. First, you'll need to select all the settings that you want, "Fast Recompress", "Compression Settings/ codec", "No audio", etc.

Then you'll need to open up the Batch Wizard. You can get there by clicking Queue Batch Operation -> Batch Wizard. Once you have the Batch Wizard open, you can then drag and drop all the files you want to convert, and filter their output names if necessary.

To add them to the job control, click Add to Queue -> Re-save in Format: AVI. And then start the Job control

And like l33tmeatwad said, I also recommend using VirtualDub2 since it has some nice upgrades. But honestly, I haven't used Virturaldub in years since I now use AMVTool to batch convert everything. It's a lot easier in my opinion and can even batch convert to mp4.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks guys. Using batch wizard in VirtualDub2 seems to be doing the trick. My only complaint is that I can't individually rename the output files before converting them.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”