CHARTFLOW 101 : which step comes first ?

hassid303
Org Profile

CHARTFLOW 101 : which step comes first ?

Post by hassid303 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:46 am

Hello guys,

I have been editing a few AMV for a year now: 1-minute techno clip, super dynamic, 130-140 BPM tracks.

I was only using Premiere Pro and felt its limit. That's why I jumped to the conclusion that I needed to train myself to After Effects. I discovered, tried, and keep grinding new tutorials for:

- 60 fps

I want to use RAW footage, and turn them into 60fps: I really like the super-smooth feeling of it.

- Rotoscoping / Masking

Mainly with Rotobrush from AE. I feel it's super buggy, especially in 60fps...

- Twixtor software

That's the main part: the time remap from Twixtor.

- Red Giant software; Transition plug-ins; Effects plug-ins

Here comes my question: what should I use first when editing?

Should I first turn my footage into 60fps? Should I do everything on AE or switch between Pro and AE? Should I even use Adobe?
Twixtor/Rotobrushing should be used on 60fps footage? or 24fps and then turn them into 60 fps?

As you can see, I am very confused... A chart flow from an experienced editor would be the perfect solution.

Or just casual chatting about the most efficient way to deal with AMV editing |:>

Thanks a lot in advance, love & all

hassid303
Org Profile

Re: CHARTFLOW 101 : which step comes first ?

Post by hassid303 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:47 am

UP

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:49 pm

My road would be :cut up in ap, do rest in ae, smoothest excprience i think
Still better than that MMO.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:48 pm

I would convert footage to 60fps first. Either use something like assumefps() in avisynth, or maybe you can just manually select the fps of the footage in premiere. Either way, that will just speed up your footage by making it faster (hopefully you are doing a fast-paced video). If you just bring 24fps footage into a 60fps composition in premiere/ae, it wont make it any smoother by default, it will just duplicate frames unless you use some artificial smoothing like twixtor.

hassid303
Org Profile

Post by hassid303 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:45 am

Zarxrax wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:48 pm
I would convert footage to 60fps first. Either use something like assumefps() in avisynth, or maybe you can just manually select the fps of the footage in premiere. Either way, that will just speed up your footage by making it faster (hopefully you are doing a fast-paced video). If you just bring 24fps footage into a 60fps composition in premiere/ae, it wont make it any smoother by default, it will just duplicate frames unless you use some artificial smoothing like twixtor.
Hello Zarxrax, thank you so much for your answer. I was feeling kinda hopeless on this one.

If I understand well enough, I should convert first the footage into a 60fps one. (I am editing a fast-paced video, since its a techno AMV with 140-145bpm songs).

I still have questions on the way to turn in into a 60fps one. I should NOT use AE/Premiere Pro artificial 60fps but use "assumefps() in avisynth".

What is it? Could you explain it to me?

Thanks again, have a nice one!

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:53 am

I think you can just use "interpret footage" in premiere, like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=premier ... -tk6rIDA33

Your project should be 60fps, and then you want to interpret your footage to the same fps. If it works like I am thinking, your footage should play back at 2-3x the normal speed after that.
Then if you need to slow down footage in your clips afterwards, you might consider using twixtor or premirere's built in interpolation.

hassid303
Org Profile

Post by hassid303 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks for the answer.

I have already tried to turn the sequence into a 60fps one, and then use "Temporal interpolation" + "Optical Flow".

It is not very smooth though...

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:53 am

Yeah, the optical flow probably doesn't work that well with most anime scenes. Twixtor doesn't work so well either, and I think it requires a lot of manual tweaking. A lot of it comes down to just selecting the correct types of scenes to use. 60fps is more beneficial when you are creating your own effects and animation, since AE can natively generate them at 60fps, as opposed to the anime which was already created at 24 fps or less to begin with.

hassid303
Org Profile

Post by hassid303 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 am

All in all, I should stick to the original fps of the anime, and forget about the 60fps editing, which is reserved to AE users?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 am

That's probably a good idea. I thought you were probably going to be doing a lot of AE work since you had mentioned it. But if you are mainly just working with basic edits of the anime, you most likely won't see much of any benefit from using 60fps.

The only time I ever used 60 fps, I didn't use a lot of AE effects, but the majority of my clips were sped up 200-400%, so that was a situation where it did still provide extra smoothness.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”