29.97 FPS or 30 FPS for Premiere Pro?

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

29.97 FPS or 30 FPS for Premiere Pro?

Post by tuxedomarty » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm

So as I am just noticing there is an option to export video from Adobe Premiere using either 29.97 FPS or 30 FPS, which is a better option for exporting a finished video and rendering it in VirtualDub?
I can't stand weeaboos and people who keep badmouthing dubbed anime and say it sucks.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: 29.97 FPS or 30 FPS for Premiere Pro?

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am

Neither considering most anime is 23.976/24fps and would leave stuttering sequences for part of it, although you would have to make sure your sequence matches that or you'll end up with stuttering video no matter what. That said, they are practically the same thing, but 29.97fps is the industry standard.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Also you generally want to export in the exact same framerate as the footage that you imported.

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am
Neither considering most anime is 23.976/24fps and would leave stuttering sequences for part of it, although you would have to make sure your sequence matches that or you'll end up with stuttering video no matter what. That said, they are practically the same thing, but 29.97fps is the industry standard.
I make non-anime videos too (as in videos for other cartoons), so what frame rate are those?
I can't stand weeaboos and people who keep badmouthing dubbed anime and say it sucks.

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm
Also you generally want to export in the exact same framerate as the footage that you imported.
How do I know what the frame rate is of the footage I am using?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 pm

tuxedomarty wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm
How do I know what the frame rate is of the footage I am using?
Mediainfo is a good tool that will tell you that and more.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 am

tuxedomarty wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am
I make non-anime videos too (as in videos for other cartoons), so what frame rate are those?
That can be a mixed bag, through the years using 30fps for some animation has been popular, but some use FILM or 24fps as well. First off, to determine the frame rate it depends on the source type, if you are using a digital distribution media file or a Blu-ray source then using MediaInfo to check the file to see the framerate should suffice. However, if it says the file is interlaced, you will have to determine the frame rate similarly to DVD sources.

With sources from DVD or SD captures from TV it takes a bit of figuring out. If it is an animated feature (aka a movie), then it is going to be 23.976fps (aka FILM or 24fps). If it was an animated show for TV and you are working from a mpeg2 source, you will need to open the file in DGIndex, then go to File > Preview. At this point it will play and open an information dialog box. Generally with these types of sources you will see "Frame Type" as "Interlaced" and "Video Type" as "NTSC", however if it is "Progressive" and/or the "Video Type" is FILM or FILM 95%+ then it is 24fps. If it is not, sometimes it takes some trial and error or knowledge of the show to determine the framerate. The easiest way to tell if a show is 30fps or 24fps is to go ahead and reverse telecine the material so that it's 24fps then find a sequence where there is a "camera pan" and look to see if it appears to stutter or if it is smooth. If it stutters try previewing that sequence without using decimation on the frames and see if it plays back smooth. Worst case scenario the show may have mixed frame rates and you will either have to guess or just see what looks good for the parts you are using.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Video & Audio Help”