Letterboxing in Erased

Mysunsai
Org Profile

Letterboxing in Erased

Post by Mysunsai » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 pm

So if you've seen the anime Erased, a significant portion of it is basically letter boxed for various reasons. This is making things a bit complicated for editing.

1) ~90% of the scenes I'll be using are letter boxed, so I could just leave it as is (and/or add letterboxing to the other scenes) to end with a letterboxed final product. I don't have a problem with that per se, but other people might.

2) I could remove the letterboxing either by cropping and resizing, or just zooming in. The resizing distortion is significant, so that's probably not a good solution, but there are a few scenes where zooming will remove details at the edges which makes that annoying to work with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some reference clips: unmodified full screen, unmodified letterbox, resized letterbox, zoomed letterbox
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vbSVS ... ydfN7A9CVd

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Letterboxing in Erased

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 pm

As a viewer, I think that I prefer seeing the scenes zoomed in. If there are details on one particular side that you want to keep, you can also offset your zoom to the left or right instead of centering it.

Mysunsai
Org Profile

Post by Mysunsai » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the input, I'll try that for now.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:25 pm

I'd rather go for a 2:35 video. Zooming artifacts are quite visible, you'd have a video that'd keep going back and forth between sharp and blurry due to that, and it's going to detract from the experience. Doing 2:35 will at least give a cinematic feel (which often goes well with AMVs) and it'll also allow you to keep quality intact on the whole video.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 am

I think what I ended up doing for my Erased trailer was keeping the letterboxed aspect ratio rather than switching between the two or trying to blow up the letterboxed footage; the letterboxing also got cropped out so everything ends up in that cinematic aspect ratio.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”