HVEC Encoder with good settings?

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

HVEC Encoder with good settings?

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 am

Hey there,

I tried to compress my newest AMV. It was with ZarxGUI and constant quality settings of 23 over one GB in filesize for a <5 min video. Woops... So I thought to myself: Let's give the HVEC encoder of Premiere Pro a chance! Well it's the same thing as with the Premiere Pro h.264 encoder: Good, but seriously not as great as zarxGUI.

What are your HVEC encoder suggestions? Is there anything that you could recommend me?

Or do you have a nice encoding script to share. My footage is heavy on grain this time :)
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

bellyzbad12345
Org Profile

Re: HVEC Encoder with good settings?

Post by bellyzbad12345 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Well, when you're using zarx/h264, it's not just the quantizer that's important, your speed preset also matters. With quantizers, slower presets will prevent larger files compared to fast presets.

Since file size is a big concenr for you, I suggest you go into bitrate mode since it lets you determine the file size. I can't tell you what bitrate to use since it'll really depend on the resolution of your video as well as the amount of visual detail in the contents of the video (grain=high detail). So you're just going to have to choose a bitrate that you guestimate is appropriate for what your video is.

And as for the speed preset, definitely go for one of the "slow" options such as "very slow" or "slower"

If it's a HEVC/h265 you're definitely after (note: YouTube doesn't support HEVC/h265 uploads yet, it'll tell you the video cant be processed once the upload reaches 100%), then use handbrake. Settings-wise, do similar to what I tell above. Except, with h265, your estimate for the appropriate file size/bitrate for the video can be much lower than with h264.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:10 pm

you can alway do it yourself with fresh x.264 builds : d ,audio may be problematic tho but research i guess.

Anyway baka encoder maybe http://vtt.to/baka%20encoder
Still better than that MMO.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 am

@belly: Thx for your effort. I appreciate it, but the only new information for me, that I got out of it is, that HVEC is not accepted by YouTube yet. I use UT encodec videos on YouTube. Lossless ftw!

@Mol:
What do you mean by myself? Are fresh x264 builds as good as x265 builds? I'm confused here.

Baka Encoder looks interesting! This could be what I've been looking for.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am

The best option for what you need is probably AMVTool. Like Zarx, it was designed specifically with AMV editors in mind, but it's constantly updated and maintained by l33tmeatwad. It's also a lot easier to batch encode, and has a wider range of settings for your desired output.

Here is the thread where the newest version and change logs are located viewtopic.php?f=117&t=126971

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:28 am

Today I found out about AMVTool. I had just to promote this in my countrie's AMV group (101 people in Austria :) ). MKV to MP4 muxing was never easier. It's a good bet for a proper HVEC encoder.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”