Benefit of 60fps vs. ~24/30?

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Benefit of 60fps vs. ~24/30?

Post by DopplerDo » Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I have noticed more and more amvs in 60fps and MrNosec's "Numinous" (https://youtu.be/aht9ZSwpMCk?list=PLOXU ... HGsfKojW1U) makes me feel like I am missing out on huge advantages, but I cannot concretely understand what they may be.

What makes 60fps so special? What does it enable editors to do? Is it all about smooth zooms or is there more to it?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Benefit of 60fps vs. ~24/30?

Post by Kireblue » Fri May 05, 2017 12:49 am

personally, I don't feel that rendering out at 60 has any benefit unless you're doing a enormous amount of effects and footage manipulation. This can cause the effects to look smother, and so that's why you often see it in videos like Numinous

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 am

60FPS looks better if you do speed adjustments, in my opinion. That's about it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Fri May 05, 2017 2:35 pm

It has some disadvantages too (will need to spend extra time for scenes) Imo sometimes it adds to vid but also it fails. I guess like with any effect :P Mby it's good when there is a lot of cuts too.
Still better than that MMO.

MrNosec
Org Profile

Post by MrNosec » Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 am

Mainly for smoother speed ramps and changing velocity at will without losing any frames, being able to make very small changes to the speed with time-remapping like the ones at 45 seconds into the video would be impossible if you're only using the frames provided by the movie with no interpolation involved. It just opens up new sync possibilities if you're willing to put up with the cons (and because it looks kinda sweet too).
AMVs:
Figment
Numinous

Youtube Channel: MrNosec

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Sat May 06, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks for all the straight-forward replies, and the direct reply from MrNosec -- really appreciated. Can anyone go into a little more detail about what these disadvantages are? Is it only what Mol mentioned: that you will need to spend extra time editing?

MrNosec
Org Profile

Post by MrNosec » Sat May 06, 2017 7:30 pm

I could explain it here but I think this guide written by lolligerjoj would be way more helpful in the long run https://lolligerjoj.wordpress.com/2016/ ... g-twixtor/ check out chapters 0, 1 and 4.3 in particular, regarding what Mol said he probably meant a whole lot of this http://imgur.com/a/h3Adc which are simply guides to help twixtor figure out what to do in the scene, which get's rid of unwanted warping.
AMVs:
Figment
Numinous

Youtube Channel: MrNosec

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Tue May 09, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks, MrNosec! That guide is definitely not for the faint of heart. I've spent a good part of Sunday and Monday digging into the guide and AE in general, since it's not a strong suit of mine. I hope to have a better (and much more cynical :p) view of what Twixtor can do in the world of AMVs. Thanks again for letting me know that this rabbit hole exists!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 am

MrNosec wrote:I could explain it here but I think this guide written by lolligerjoj would be way more helpful in the long run https://lolligerjoj.wordpress.com/2016/ ... g-twixtor/ check out chapters 0, 1 and 4.3 in particular, regarding what Mol said he probably meant a whole lot of this http://imgur.com/a/h3Adc which are simply guides to help twixtor figure out what to do in the scene, which get's rid of unwanted warping.
Checked out the guide, but this one statement amused me:
I have yet to encounter a single anime that is natively rendered at a different framerate (disregarding weird encodes on the internet).
Kids these days and their HD sources...
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora is 30000/1001 all the way through, to give a straightforward example. But that's weird on its own. Early digital sources are most commonly a mix of 3:2 pulldown with pattern changes and sometimes 60i effects/animations overlayed or otherwise mixed in.

Nowadays, since BDs are generally 24000/1001, that's what we usually get (with exceptions occurring every so often, mostly in kids shows meant mostly for tv broadcast), but digging into late 90s and early 00s sources means having to deal with pattern changes, VFR, and so on rather commonly.
There's also the fact that poor telecine quality in some old sources means that there aren't clean masters in existence.

Really, anime is a can of worms when it comes to framerates, and not just for the animation framerate vs. footage framerate issue, but at a more basic level. I've had to resort to motion interpolation in a quite a few occasions in order to avoid jerky motion in a normal playback situation, simply because the original source had different framerates mixed together and that was the only way to get the best output, barring doing a bobbed section in a vfr encode, which would still result in slightly jerky motion on the content that went through the pulldown, plus having it look less detailed than it could.

Now, taking all this into consideration, as lolli's excellent guide explains well, not all scenes are created equal, so you'll often find that a scene you might want to use simply doesn't get interpolated. But even scenes that can get interpolated will often look "weird", because twixtor's approach to interpolation just isn't what hand-drawn animation's sense of movement boils down to.
There currently is no algorithm in existence that can do this with a more traditional animation style, otherwise animations studios wouldn't need to pay inbetweeners to draw the tweens. The closest there is to this is animation done with Adobe Animate, but it's an entirely different style of animation altogether.

You also need to consider film look when you decide to go for 60fps or not. Despite the existence of clear advantages in higher framerates, we have been trained to film look far too much to ignore it. It's why The Hobbit's HFR was criticised by many and also why it didn't catch on, unlike 3D.
Depending on the genre of video you are editing, and really the kind of editing you want to do and feelings you want to evoke, the smoother look of 60fps will actually be detrimental to the overall experience.

It all means that when you edit an AMV you'll have to ask yourself: "is it more important to use this exact scene and have it look good for my amv, or is it more important to have the amv look smooth, at the expense of scene selection and potentially natural look in motion?"

Approaching 60fps isn't as simple as setting a higher fps value in the NLE, and lolli's guide shows this, nor is it as simple as stating "bigger is better," since it's not inherently true.

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 pm

mirkosp wrote: You also need to consider film look when you decide to go for 60fps or not. Despite the existence of clear advantages in higher framerates, we have been trained to film look far too much to ignore it.
This is a great new point (as well as your others!) and really got me scratching the ol' chin. I really wish that studios would natively animate in 60fps in the first place, especially considering the money some of the big titles are raking in. I realize it would be jarring to see Naruto, for example, suddenly in smooth 60fps, but I would kill to see newer titles in 60fps where appropriate.

Are there any anime titles that come to mind that are originally made at a higher framerate, 60 or otherwise?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”