Benefit of 60fps vs. ~24/30?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Benefit of 60fps vs. ~24/30?

Post by mirkosp » Tue May 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Well, late 90s/early 00s sources mix in all kinds of different things all the time. I'll use Death Note as an example, since it's a popular source.
It was originally animated at 24000/1001 (footage framerate, actual animation framerate is mostly lower, of course). But then, like it's usual for sources of that time period, the editing was done at 60i. So there are some scenes which are legit 60i because it's not possible to go back to a clean progressive stream, as all fields have some unique motion stored. The most obvious example in this is its second ending, if you have the DVD release. There are many overlays between scenes with different patterns, and the camera shake when the elevator is rising has been done at actual 60i.

There are many other examples, but you'll find that the actual 60i content is mostly just in the camera works or in the effects (pans, zooms, shakes, overlayed CGI). Even Cowboy Bebop has 60i CG scenes mixed in with an otherwise clean 3:2 pulldown.

The thing is, there isn't much value in this higher framerate. The extra motion you're getting isn't significant, as what really matters to us is the actual framerate of the hand drawn content. And that's generally animated at a lower framerate than even 24000/1001 to begin with.

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 pm

This is all starting to make complete sense. I just have two questions left for you, mirkosp: 1) how in the heck are you so informed about framerate details -- how did you even come to acquire that knowledge (esp. b/c I am at the beginning of that road), and 2) how in the heck did you get lucky enough to end up in or grow up in Gallarate!?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

1) Time and patience. Internet has many informations around if you google hard enough (the org's own avtech, wikipedia, and doom9 are good places to start). Most things however you'll learn the hard way, by getting your hand on enough varied sources and trying to understand just what is going on to know what's the better solution to solve the issues at hand. It all paid off for me since I'm currently doing this for a living, at least.
2) Well, my parents live there, but anything I learned about encoding was online (and in English), so my country didn't make much of a difference from that perspective!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”