Fixing Quality Issues

Zachalope64
Org Profile

Fixing Quality Issues

Post by Zachalope64 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:13 am

I recently submitted a few amvs to Nan Desu Kan and found out there were some quality issues that I didn't notice. I'm wondering if I was using the wrong settings or maybe that Handbrake isn't a an efficient way to get footage from a dvd. I tried ripping video from another disc that I had available and I didn't notice any real issues, but I might just not have the eye for it. I understand that dvds arn't as good as blu-rays, but the latter isn't an option on my current budget, so I'm trying to get the best out of what I have.

Does anyone have any tips for using handbrake to rip anime footage? Also I'd like to provide an example of what I've ripped, if that's alright. I'll put the link below. Let me know if its alright.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4u33 ... sp=sharing

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Fixing Quality Issues

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Using Handbreak to rip DVDs does not allow you to handle the footage in a way to maintain quality. I know the guides on this site are currently slightly out of date and I plan to work on updating them in the next year or so, but for now I would point you to the AMV 101 guides as a good starting point to familiarize yourself with A/V tech and introduce you to some of the better practices in handling footage to maximize quality.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Zachalope64
Org Profile

Re: Fixing Quality Issues

Post by Zachalope64 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'll check it out!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”