Looking for some serious help.

Swordsknight
Org Profile

Looking for some serious help.

Post by Swordsknight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi there. I'm fairly new to making AMVs. I'm currently on my first project and was almost done until WMM started crashing on me constantly (possibly from editing too much?), so I bought Adobe Premiere Elements in order to finish up. Well it turns out when I imported the footage there I could not edit, cut, or do ANYTHING close to what I did before. The footage was jittery, had like these sort of lines that blended frames, and none of my cuts were accurate.

I ripped Blu-Ray footage using MakeMKV and then converted that into AVI (not sure of the software at the moment I used but can find out if it's important). The footage is 1920x1080 at 23 FPS. I did not use any of the steps in the AMV guide because it just was not helpful or relevant to what I was using and did not answer my questions. I'd really appreciate if somebody can help me step by step on what I need to do to edit this footage. I've downloaded the necessary AMV app programs but the guide does a terrible job of explaining what exactly needs to be done. I'm frankly quite confused why WMM was able to do it so easily but Adobe couldn't. I'd really appreciate almost ANY type of response because I honestly have had a lot of fun doing this up til this point and don't want to give up because nobody has reached out to me on here. So is there anyone out there that has a little bit of the patience to help me out?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Looking for some serious help.

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Blending frames? Jittery? Sounds like you might be working at 29.97fps when the footage is 23.976fps so it is creating blended and/or duplicate frames to fill in the gaps. What are your project settings? What codec are the AVIs encoded with? Are these the same AVI files you used when working in WMM? If not knowing the software used could be helpful.

If you don't mind, what guide and tools were you using? I might be able to better explain whatever tools were suggested.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Swordsknight
Org Profile

Post by Swordsknight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Blending frames? Jittery? Sounds like you might be working at 29.97fps when the footage is 23.976fps so it is creating blended and/or duplicate frames to fill in the gaps. What are your project settings?

Additional question:
Are these the same AVI files you used when working in WMM? If not knowing the software used could be helpful.
Thanks for getting back to me!
In Adobe Premiere Elements, the only setting that matches what I'm working with is put at 60 FPS. Im not sure if going to a different aspect ratio with a lower frame rate will fix anything either.

Yes they were the exact same files although the only one that was different was the unfinished project from WMM and then I guess got converted to an MP4 file (854x480, 29FPS) but I noticed the same issue with that as well.

So to sum it up I ripped the Blu Ray using MakeMKV, then the MKV files (which no other software recognizes) were converted to AVIs using the program "Freemake Video Converter". It gave me the option to convert it to WMV, Apple, DVD, MPEG, MP4 but I thought the best way was AVI. Those AVI files have the specific settings I listed above but like I said APE doesn't have a setting that lets me work with it at a lower frame rate. Any info would be great.

Swordsknight
Org Profile

Post by Swordsknight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:37 pm

If you don't mind, what guide and tools were you using? I might be able to better explain whatever tools were suggested.[/quote]

It was the AMV guide from this site. A lot of which didn't help because I couldn't get VOB files because that other program requires you to buy the version that rips Blu-Rays. But that along with Avisynth, DGIndex, AvsPmod, Virtual DubMod Interlacing, etc. none of it seemed to pertain to what I was doing so yeah just looking for some explanation on what I should be doing to atleast get the good looking footage into APE.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Swordsknight wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Blending frames? Jittery? Sounds like you might be working at 29.97fps when the footage is 23.976fps so it is creating blended and/or duplicate frames to fill in the gaps. What are your project settings?

Additional question:
Are these the same AVI files you used when working in WMM? If not knowing the software used could be helpful.
Thanks for getting back to me!
In Adobe Premiere Elements, the only setting that matches what I'm working with is put at 60 FPS. Im not sure if going to a different aspect ratio with a lower frame rate will fix anything either.

Yes they were the exact same files although the only one that was different was the unfinished project from WMM and then I guess got converted to an MP4 file (854x480, 29FPS) but I noticed the same issue with that as well.

So to sum it up I ripped the Blu Ray using MakeMKV, then the MKV files (which no other software recognizes) were converted to AVIs using the program "Freemake Video Converter". It gave me the option to convert it to WMV, Apple, DVD, MPEG, MP4 but I thought the best way was AVI. Those AVI files have the specific settings I listed above but like I said APE doesn't have a setting that lets me work with it at a lower frame rate. Any info would be great.
I do not recommend Freemake Video Converter for converting footage and I would double check to make sure it output the footage at 23.976fps. That said, frame rate is EXTREMELY important towards preventing choppiness or blending of frames as most software will output by either adding frames or blending them so they are not as choppy if it does not match the original framerate of the source. As for premiere elements, I'm not as familiar with that (I've only worked with premiere pro), is there no option for 24fps or 23.976fps? I know the newer versions of Premiere Pro have the option to modify the sequence settings so you can adjust the framerate of the timeline.
Swordsknight wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:If you don't mind, what guide and tools were you using? I might be able to better explain whatever tools were suggested.
It was the AMV guide from this site. A lot of which didn't help because I couldn't get VOB files because that other program requires you to buy the version that rips Blu-Rays. But that along with Avisynth, DGIndex, AvsPmod, Virtual DubMod Interlacing, etc. none of it seemed to pertain to what I was doing so yeah just looking for some explanation on what I should be doing to atleast get the good looking footage into APE.
The guides on this site are extremely outdated and the tools are as well. I would recommend for footage conversion using the AMV 101 guide linked in my signature and AMVpack (basically an updated version of AMVapp plus or minus a few tools) to give you the best control over the quality and format of the footage you will be working with.

Swordsknight
Org Profile

Post by Swordsknight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Well Im currently unaware of another program that can convert MKV files into AVI but I'll look into it. I'll also look at ways I can adjust the settings in APE (although it has given me little to work with). You've been a great help so far, is it ok if I message you if I have any other questions?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 pm

AMVpack actually has several methods of handling MKVs. Feel free to message me on here or on Skype for help.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”