Working with several anime series in one project?

HolyPhoenician
Org Profile

Working with several anime series in one project?

Post by HolyPhoenician » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:13 pm

This question concerns those AMVs that consists of several different anime series, especially those that have over 10 different series. How does the person know on which clips to select for their AMV projects? Do they view every episode of each series multiply times in a fast-forward mode, as a standard procedure to do for an AMV that is based on a single anime series? It seems very time consuming to pick specific clips out of several series.

My guess is that the person has already worked with several anime series from previous projects (each project consisting of each series), enabling them to already had vividly remembered the scenes of each series.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Working with several anime series in one project?

Post by mirkosp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 am

Scene selection is one of the hardest parts of AMV editing in my opinion, which is also why you'll often see AMVs edited with just opening/ending sequences (they have some of the best animations and require little effort to track down those specific bits), as well as movies and short series and such (a shorter runtime means less "filler" animations to wade through in order to find the clips you actually need).
As for me, when I edit with a series, generally speaking I'll know the series well enough to know there's a certain kind of scene and more or less the episode it's in, so I'll generally try to hunt that scene down by skipping around and fastforwarding. After placing it in the timeline I'll know if it actually looks as I remembered it and works as I expected, or if it just doesn't work out quite the way I thought it would. Some well placed effects might fix up the difference in some cases, but other times I'll just have to scrap the whole clip and search for something else. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll write down on paper the song bits (such as the lyrics or whatever) of what I need to find clips for, then just fastforward the whole series if not just rewatch it entirely, while writing down where potential clips are. Afterwards I'll just save the various clips giving them appropriate names and import those and see how it works out from there.
Another way to clip is to simply clip all the good looking animations you stumble upon and deleting scenes that look mostly useless for AMV purposes, and then just looking through those. Some people directly do this in the NLE, by first importing the entire episode and then keeping the clips after the end of the song in the timeline to have an easy access to them while editing.
This should more or less encompass the various ways I'm aware people work for clipping and finding scenes, hopefully you'll find a method which suits your style within these, otherwise you'll have to come up with an alternative solution on your own.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”