Help with old anime framerate

Resoow
Org Profile

Help with old anime framerate

Post by Resoow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:45 am

Hi, guys! I'm a newbie to the video editing and I'm having some troubles with some old anime.
Practically, I'm working with some videos that have a variable framerate.
Almost all of the scenes are at 23.976, with a few (in certain cases, only one) at 29.976 that last between 4 to 40 frames at max, except the credits at the end that are all at 29.976.
The question is, I should remain with a vfr or is it better to convert all to costant 23.976?

The sources are old DVDs.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Help with old anime framerate

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

With AMVs, you have no need to keep the original framerate, but just use whatever's most convenient to you in each and every situation. The most important thing is to keep the video smooth in playback, so whether you decide to do 23.976 or 29.97, make sure you don't insert dups or drop unique frames, otherwise you'll mess up the smoothness. I suggest you to avoid editing vfr, however; just slow down or speed up everything to the desired framerate beforehand.

Resoow
Org Profile

Post by Resoow » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks, mirkosp. I guess I'll take it all to 23.976, speeding up everything, then.
Another question (just curiosity), if I can: and in case of a total rip? The speed up\slow down will cause the audio to be desynchronized?
In this case it'll better to maintain the variable framerate or simply convert it all to 23.976, loosing some frames in the process?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:15 am

Yes, in case you had to keep the audio then you'd have to do a vfr to maintain the audio sync. Or rather, that's the best solution.
The alternatives are adjusting the audio speed while shifting the pitch (if done well it shouldn't be too noticeable, but I'm not a fan of this solution), dropping frames from the 29.97 to bring it to 23.976 (I discourage this, it's very noticeable), dupping frames to bring the 23.976 to 29.97 (still bad but slightly less jarring than the opposite imho), or doing a 119.88 stream (it's a multiple of both 23.976 and 29.97, so after you decimate the 23.976 but not the 29.97, you can then put them back together in a cfr stream while retaining the playback smoothness of a vfr ─ it uselessly inflates the filesize, so I'd just vfr at that point).

Resoow
Org Profile

Post by Resoow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks again!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”