AMV Playback at Conventions... thoughts

Quu
Org Profile

Re: AMV Playback at Conventions... thoughts

Post by Quu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 pm

the speed of sound desync issue is one i already have had to deal with... you can't stagger the speakers in the room with different delays, because then people caught between speakers will hear a very odd distortion...

for AWA the best solution i have found is to sync the time for the 1/3 front center of the room... so people in the center will have perfect sync and the people at the very front will be getting the audio 0.6 frames early and the people at the rear of the room 0.8 seconds late... so nobody is more than a frame off... and were the majority of people sit... in the front 2/3 of the seats... get the best sync
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 pm

0.8 seconds is more than one frame off… The noticeable desync happens at 0.1s, or 100ms, which is why 10fps is the minimum animation framerate.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am

sorry... i did not mean 0.8 seconds or 0.6 seconds... i mean 0.6 frames and 0.8 frames in a 30 fps video...

I was going from memory and not checking my notes

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm

For playback software, what about XBMC?

XBMC itself is a very versatile player built on most of the same libraries that CCCP uses, and it runs on multiple platforms. Ontop of that, it supports HTML remote command. So while XBMC is running full screen, you can be accessing it over a network, while maintaining your playlist, pausing, playing, whatever, without the audience seeing you mousing around on the projector?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Deeeeeerrrrrrrrr XBMC uses it's own libs for a lot of things and what it does have in common with CCCP is super out of date. Only HTPC software I know of that uses recent builds of anything is Enna and I suppose MMC, mostly because they rely on system libav/mplayer. All the others use the same decoders but way older versions, with their own custom demuxers, last I checked.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:Deeeeeerrrrrrrrr XBMC uses it's own libs for a lot of things and what it does have in common with CCCP is super out of date. Only HTPC software I know of that uses recent builds of anything is Enna and I suppose MMC, mostly because they rely on system libav/mplayer. All the others use the same decoders but way older versions, with their own custom demuxers, last I checked.
While XBMC is behind somewhat, the only arena where it's behind truely is 10bit h.264, which is available in the nightlies if I recall. Everything else you'd need for AMV playback is there.

It's just a suggestion, since it allows remote control via HTML interface and a few other means.

But I just use it for my HTPC. I barely touch the remote input, other than using my Windows Media IR remote. :P

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 am

It also can't read MKV properly, and has the most derp subtitle handling ever. I guess that kind of thing isn't an issue for AMVs much though, but for playback at a con you really want a proper queueing system rather than hacking software not designed for it into such a use. I've yet to see any problems with a good player rendering to a second display for any event I've staffed, while every other solution tried has been a mess.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm

I did consider XMBC for a very long time... as my original idea was two machines... one with XMBC and a second running a custom web UI i was going to script in python for XBMC (was going to be a cool reason to learn python)...

my problem with XBMC was when i tried to unify it into a single computer, with UI and playback on the same machine... i don't want the aidiance to see the XBMC interface, or any interface... they should see black and hear silence... or should see and hear a video...

that is why i transitioned to VLC with a custom skin and web interface... then into mplayer(2) with a custom wrapper app

i have decided to stick with just mplayer(2) and my conplayer for now... i don't have time to try out the libav+sdl solution before awa

Return to “Video & Audio Help”