I've been wanting to make AMVs for years

IndygoEEI
Org Profile

I've been wanting to make AMVs for years

Post by IndygoEEI » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:59 pm

But always had issues varying from the lack of understanding to not having the resources to do it. It's 2022 and now I'm even more confused to begin compared to my last attempt. I'd like to use something like DiVinci Resolve (Because it's free!) as my editor. Beyond that I feel even more clueless as to where to begin the process compared to my attempts around 2009. The process and tools seem completely different now compared to that era. That's where my confusion stems from. Can someone sort me out please?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: I've been wanting to make AMVs for years

Post by Kireblue » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:11 am

The first place where you should go is https://www.amv101.com/home

That website has a ton of resources and guides that should be a good starting point for you.

Also, I always recommend new editors to check out the guide here: So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

If you have any specific questions, feel free to either ask them here

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:03 am

Resolve sometimes can have a step learning curve and the free version is less compatible with a lot of the sources out there, so if you happen to struggle with that you may want to start with Kdenlive, which is also free but with a smaller learning curve and it's probably the most compatible with any type of source without the need to covert them.

As for the other stuff, the guide kireblue linked is a good starting point. On a positive note, getting footage ready to work with is much easier than it used to be.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Falconone
get the Punch
Org Profile

Post by Falconone » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:41 am

the site amv101.com is a good starting point to get behind who to convert or how to use different type of media and sources.
For programs, Davinci Resolve is very good but can be a bit overwhelming, for that i recommend to watch some general tutorials about the program.
For example such video like this Crash Course Resolve 18 can help to understand the program faster.
After that just play around and try to find what feels the best for you.

I think with the amv101 you get the understanding of the sources maybe easier. If you have still questions just ask here, no one will bite.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:51 am

You basically just: Get footage > Import footage into Davinci Resolve > Edit video.

Sure there are more things than that, but that is the jist of it. If you are getting caught up on some specific part, feel free to ask more detailed questions. But don't let yourself get caught up on trying to understand every little detail before you start. Just go in and get your hands dirty. You will learn as you go.

IndygoEEI
Org Profile

Post by IndygoEEI » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:24 am

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone. I've been busy over the holidays plus IRL stuff came up I have to deal with. I'll try and look at all this when things clear up in life.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”