noobish question

kenwith17ns
Org Profile

noobish question

Post by kenwith17ns » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 pm

I've been working on putting together my first amv but I am having some footage issues. Here is the scenario: I have multiple episodes that I need at most 5 seconds from. How do I snip out those 5 second clips? I'm using VirtualDub and know how to break it into smaller chunks, but I would prefer to extract the clip from the middle of the source and save to an avi. It appears I can only lop off the front or back with VirtualDub.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist or is there a way that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: noobish question

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 am

The two buttons next to the Frame information box in the main VirtualDub GUI are 'Mark in' (the left button) and 'Mark out' (the right button). Use 'Mark in' for the first frame in the sequence you want to export, and 'Mark out' for the last frame in the sequence you want to export. One caveat is that VDub is not last-frame-inclusive, so while the frame marked with 'Mark in' will be included in the output, the one selected by 'Mark out' won't be - it'll end at the frame immediately before that one.

Or just use an AviSynth script by using VDub to find the frame numbers for the start and end frames, and then in the script, use

Code: Select all

Trim(start_frame_number, end_frame_number)
AviSynth is last-frame-inclusive. The end_frame_number in that Trim command will include that specific frame in the output.

And then just open the script in VDub and export.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

kenwith17ns
Org Profile

Re: noobish question

Post by kenwith17ns » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 am

Wow, I didn't catch that option in the demos I watched, thanks! From watching how-to vids and checking forums, I thought I could only "divide".

You have saved me hours, thank you!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”