Round 1

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Round 1

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:08 pm

seasons wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Sorry if I seem a little hostile.
You don't.
Thank god xD Normally if I take a serious-ish tone most people think I'm seething with rage.
seasons wrote: This has more to do with my frustration with the hobby in general than with this contest, specifically. When people have a chance to make literally anything they want, or even to have someone else do it, they opt for generic concepts concepts/extremely-popular audio-video combinations, even if they could go on to Youtube and find exactly what they're asking for in about 5 seconds.
And actually, that brings up one of the things I love about this contest. Sure, you can go the normal route and try to knock the obvious combo is obvious out of the park but a lot of people get really creative and make some fantastic videos.

Like an over the top literal version of a song that's normally uber dramatic.
Rhianna? Nah. Rhianna Quest! The ultimate video game challenge!
Or taking a song that most people picture with shounen shows and turning it into a celebration of youth using moe.
Even taking a cute little romance song and turning it in to a creepy vampire stalker video.

I could go on and on with amazing examples if I wanted to :3

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:51 am

seasons wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Sorry if I seem a little hostile.
You don't.

It would be silly of me to actually suggest that you or anyone else who's ever run this contest in the past -- if it's ever been anyone else -- is actually handpicking what songs make the cut. I would've thought that most editors have a few songs kicking around in their head that they've always wanted to hear in an AMV (regardless of who's editing to it), and that this would be a great opportunity to play their luck and see if it might actually happen. Or not, I guess.

This has more to do with my frustration with the hobby in general than with this contest, specifically. When people have a chance to make literally anything they want, or even to have someone else do it, they opt for generic concepts concepts/extremely-popular audio-video combinations, even if they could go on to Youtube and find exactly what they're asking for in about 5 seconds.
I think it has to do a lot with these people seeing these generic YouTube videos and not being content with them, wanting to make the music better justice. I would send a video because of that if I could, actually.
Fall_Child42 wrote:Also you can totally ask yue directly if a song is okay.

I had to do that like a half dozen times.

but I got 5 great songs in the contest that were not picked.

Also this IS troll audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3kworqbeqw

despite how much I like it.
:dino: Hanatarash~ :shark:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote: I think it has to do a lot with these people seeing these generic YouTube videos and not being content with them, wanting to make the music better justice. I would send a video because of that if I could, actually.

In my opinion, "song stealing" is nowhere near as sacred as it was 5+ years ago. That's not exactly a bad thing though considering I've got songs that I adore sitting on my harddrive that I won't touch because editors I know claimed them in 2006. :P

It appears the current generation seeks to emulate or reach the same level as videos they've seen on the internet. Kisanzi has a fun time youtube searching general information from his video Comdemned Memoir for this exact reason. He's found 10+ "wannabes/ripoffs" from different editors trying to emulate the video. One person has even attempted to remake the video several times, each time improving upon their own technical level a little more and getting a tiny bit closer to the original video in question.

While there are some people out there that I know of that say "I haven't seen anyone do it right so I'm going to do it" I don't believe them to be the majority. But this all wraps back around to other theories I have on the current state of AMV editing and is not related to this contest so I'll drop the conversation here. If you'd ever like to discuss it in private I'm always open. =w=

Also, about to do the song randomization for all the rounds. :awesome:

Paura
Whatever it is, I didn't do it!
Org Profile

Post by Paura » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Radical_Yue wrote: Also, about to do the song randomization for all the rounds. :awesome:
'Bout time, woman! :lol:

*flees*

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:It appears the current generation seeks to emulate or reach the same level as videos they've seen on the internet.

That's not new - that's been around pretty much since the advent of AMVs.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Ileia wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:It appears the current generation seeks to emulate or reach the same level as videos they've seen on the internet.

That's not new - that's been around pretty much since the advent of AMVs.
Very true there. I meant to say I believe it's more prevalent nowadays than it was in the past but that's a conversation for another time.
(I need to stop replying seriously to posts right after waking up lol)

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Prepare yourselves, Group A!
Only a couple hours left until your fate is revealed!

You will receive a PM with a download link to the song and then I will post the download link in this main thread so if anyone wishes to make a non-competing video they'll have access to it.

Remember! Anyone can make a non-competing video! If someone drops in Round 1 and you submit a non-competing video you may have the chance to steal with spot! All non-competing videos will be featured in the packs with the official videos. Even editors who are already in a group of their own can make a non-competing video if they really want a challenge.

:shark:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:57 am

Yue, the video is broken somehow, there're some wubs in the background =w=

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Less than 15 minutes until Group B's song is posted!

And remember that if a song you submit gets selected you can reveal yourself as the sender! Until then, keep it zipped :X

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Return to “The Quickening 2014”