what's the deal with Skillet?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

what's the deal with Skillet?

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

A long time ago my friends were into them but this was back in the late 90s/early 2000s and let me tell you, no one cared about this band outside of the most traditional Christian rock circles. They weren't even as popular as Bleach, Seven Day Jesus, or All Star United. Ever hear of those bands? Probably not!

I had a roommate that used to have a poster of this album cover on the wall and I'd look at it every day and think "that poor bastard, he can't even afford a real shirt." Now they're the 18th most-used artist/band on this website? I know that list is really out of date but that almost makes it more confusing. I know for a fact that they weren't actually popular or even getting popular back when this site was at its most active.

How did people here get into them? Unlike Switchfoot, POD or Relient K they never got played on the radio. And if there's some reason they're a favorite band of AMV editors -- the Thousand Foot Krutch effect? -- I haven't figured out what it is yet.

The last time I listened to them, they were trying to do some hard rock + electronica thing and now it seems like they're just copying Three Days Grace rage rock riffs?

Talk to me about what I've been missing!

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: what's the deal with Skillet?

Post by Ileia » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:41 am

It's worth noting that the list you're using is probably about 6-7 years outdated, if not more. We don't have enough new entries generated to fix that and make it current, it's an all-time list. I don't think any of the "top" lists are accurate anymore, just a reflection of what was popular in the Org's heyday
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 am

Someone posted a Skillet AMV in the announcements thread this week. And I swear someone else did the week before that.

All that means a whole lot of nothing but there are a lot of Skillet AMVs on Youtube as well. There have been at least 30 or maybe even 40 Skillet AMVs uploaded over the last week.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:41 pm

As one of those that does remember them from back then (I have that trio of Electronic Rock-cum-Industrial albums, and before that I remember my cousin playing their debut at times, although the only track that really stuck with me was "Gasoline"), and yes, their genre shifts are all a bit jarring.

The uptick happened around 7-8 years ago, because I do remember singles from Comatose getting airplay on mainstream rock stations and it garnered a lot of popularity outside of CCM circles (notice how most of those videos only use songs from Comatose, Awake, and Rise, but not from their first 5 main albums). It surprised me when it was happening, but as it occurred when they shifted to a more post-Nickelback* style, it wasn't totally unexpected.

*not 'Post-Grunge', even though people would [wrongly] use that term for a bunch of bands in that category. Skillet's debut was Post-Grunge, like a lot of 90s modern rock was, but that style as a whole largely died out by 2001.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Tenshigami
Org Profile

Post by Tenshigami » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 am

Figured I'd say something since my latest video used Skillet.

I got into them a little bit a decade ago when they released "Alien Youth", even saw them in concert, then sort of forgot about them for a long time. This past year however has seen me get back into a lot of the bands from my youth - at least the ones that are still around. I've even found a few new bands by finding songs in YouTube suggestions.

I think one way ANY band can find some form of popularity these days is simply through the internet in various ways.

Return to “General Discussion”