AC-Cubed 2006 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
eyevocal
Org Profile

Post by eyevocal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:52 pm

Haunter103 wrote:So, it's after Saturday...
... Any word on any disqualifications :?:
Yeah, that one of yours did get disqualified due to content--but we liked it nonetheless, and we're considering showing it during the "Midnight Fanboy Theatre", which is an overnight room dedicated to fan-service-heavy shows.

One other video got dropped because it was shot right through with DivX and adult swim logos. Ugh. The other judges told me to have mercy on the other vids in which the DivX logo only happened once. This year, I did. Next year, I won't. Either learn how to shut off the logo display when you install the DivX codec (it's really not hard to do), or stop being so chintzy and invest a few dollars in either buying the DVDs if you can afford to, or renting them if you can't afford to buy them. Your AMVs will look better for it.

I'll also be more specific about one thing in next year's rules: No identifying marks in the video whatsoever. If you put credit screens in your entry this year, we're chopping them off (even if you did mention AC Cubed by name in them; thank you, but the rules clearly said no credits). Next year, if you put up a credit screen while the song's still audible, we'll either superimpose the generic AC Cubed credit screen over top of it, or disqualify it flat out if doing that is not plausible.

Still, only two out of 27 competing entries (and two exhibition entries) is not bad.

Dave Watson
AMV Contest Wrangler, AC Cubed 2006
amv@ac-cubed.ca

Haunter103
Org Profile

Post by Haunter103 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 pm

eyevocal wrote:Stuff
I didn't know there was any late night content :o
I'll be sure to check that out when we're there :)
My entry originally did have my logo, but some of us like to pay attention to the lyrics, so I exported a version without the logo included.
Anyways, looking forward to it, hope to see you there!
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Alright, I hope I'm not the only one who's going to declare that the contest = win.

Had a great time. It ran for nearly 2 hours, and I think it says a lot that the general quality range of videos went from "OK" to "sheer awesome". There was also a total of 1.5 technical snags in the whole thing (I don't count the infamous chobits video related delay as a full-scale problem, it was worth it), which is pretty good for a con.

Ironically, the ones in the "sheer awesome" category were for the most part videos by the editing-bunch-in-attendance (myself excluded, of course, for the obvious reason). Props to all. Too bad you guys all ran off so soon or I would've gone on about how awesome your stuff was :P My more sensible side wants to pick Mike's Arjuna video as my favorite in the contest, and my more senseless side is definitely going for FC's and Haunter's stuff. Go figure!

I don't remember who won which categories exactly, perhaps because I didn't read every title screen as carefully as I should've, but if what I recall is right - all of them deserved it.

Props to Dave! Run it like this again next year.

Otherwise it was great seeing you guys. Hope I'll see you (the out-of-towners particularly) at Anime North.

In theory. :roll:
Last edited by Otohiko on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:15 pm

Otohiko wrote:(I don't count the infamous chobits video related delay as a full-scale problem, it was worth it)
Well, if i got Oto's approval that's OK by me :)

I have to give Congrats to Krat on Stealing my "most technical" award

And to Haunter for stealing my "Most Original"
:D

Just kidding ... Sounds like it was a good contest... And the only thing i REALLY wish i could have been there for was to watch the crowd watching my Schism Video.

oh well... There's always next year :\

We'll have to get together at A-North For sure

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 pm

I think yours should get my pick for one of my favorite videos after all. But you were there in spirit. Just ask Krat.

The audience laughed. It certainly did work!

[edit as I was slightly confused the video-in-reference :P upload it now so I can get it for myself though!]
Last edited by Otohiko on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 pm

Now that I think of it, I hope people can fill me in with a list of titles.

I'm already forgetting what was titled what. I only remember stuff by creators, and I believe quite a few of these didn't get posted on the .org yet. :P

All the edits I had to make to these posts. Bah, I need sleep after the damn con :roll:

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Otohiko wrote: [edit as I was slightly confused the video-in-reference :P upload it now so I can get it for myself though!]

These are the two i sent to the Contest...

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Alright, so I guess I was confused and credit en masse goes to you for Schizm (can't believe I missed it online before...) :) My previous comment relates to the panda video then.

Yea, Schizm totally destroyed. The audience didn't have much of a reaction (stunned?), but the way it looked/sounded on the big screen gives a hint of what they were probably thinking.

I correct myself. That was the big one of the con for me. Expectably? :P

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Yep yep, I definately have to say it was an improvement this year, very cool seeing some of these vids on the big screen. (If I'm not mistaken, Eek's Karas vid took best composition, and I didn't even recognize it when it was all theatre-like :P)

I'd try and post an unofficial awards list, but I figure I'll probably mess something up :X So it's probably best to wait for the official release :P

(Also, there was a really cool Various Anime vid called Solitude iirc, I looked it up but couldn't find it on the .org hopefully it's available somewheres)

But yeah, gotta echo Oto here, great show, great vids, looking forward to the next meeting :up:

[Kristyrat]

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:54 pm

in before picture of Krat holding an "I MISS FC ;_:" sign

Return to “AMV Contests”