Converting WMV

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:51 am

Rubystars1000 wrote:
Secondly, have you tried exporting your video from WMM in DV AVI format? It should be one of the quality options listed under "Other..."
Thanks, I'll try that! :) I didn't try exporting, I just hit "Save movie file".
Exporting IS saving a movie file. I haven't used WMM in a year, so I pretty much forgot what all the options are actually called.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Rubystars1000
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:50 pm

Well that method did save it as an AVI, but the audio is is ruined and the video is jerky when I save it that way.

I just wish I could tap it with a magic wand and turn my good quality wmv into an avi.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:07 pm

Rubystars1000 wrote:Well that method did save it as an AVI, but the audio is is ruined and the video is jerky when I save it that way.
That's a typical error about 85% or more wmm users get, don't feel bad. ^.~

Just go to the guides and download avisynth and virtualdub, and codecs if you're missing some. Using Vdub is great if you're converting wmvs - you can use the filters to make *sure* the quality is good, and it's just a nice tool to have around. Get those and you can make a script in a minute or two. Or just save the vid to 'high quality video (large)' and run it through one of those converters people gave you. Anything that will change it into huffyuv is good - just don't settle for xvid or divx. If you're going to convert a wmv file either go straight to mpg or change it to huffyuv and *then* compress it to mpg. Otherwise your quality will take a dive.

Personally, I like Vdub (to get it to huffyuv) and then tmpgenc for the final mpg. ^_^

Rubystars1000
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:33 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:
Rubystars1000 wrote:Well that method did save it as an AVI, but the audio is is ruined and the video is jerky when I save it that way.
That's a typical error about 85% or more wmm users get, don't feel bad. ^.~

Just go to the guides and download avisynth and virtualdub, and codecs if you're missing some.
I have virtual dub, but not avisynth. I think I'd better get it.

I'm interested in learning all the ins and outs of all these programs. It's a little confusing right now but I'm going to do what I can.

I think I may end up having to get some library books about adobe premiere, for example, because I can't make sense of it.

I was able to finally change my wmv to an avi that was watchable by using a program called VideoPak I found linked on a thread here. I had to save it in DivX format because the first try on that program put out a crappy video too. DivX looked good to me. I tried cropping out my subtitles in Virtual Dub but cropping made it look bad, it cut out too much of the scenes and it was cut too low to get rid of all of the subtitles in the film.

So now I have to keep trying and do something else. I'm looking for the logo away filter right now, but I can't find it.
Using Vdub is great if you're converting wmvs - you can use the filters to make *sure* the quality is good, and it's just a nice tool to have around. Get those and you can make a script in a minute or two. Or just save the vid to 'high quality video (large)' and run it through one of those converters people gave you. Anything that will change it into huffyuv is good - just don't settle for xvid or divx. If you're going to convert a wmv file either go straight to mpg or change it to huffyuv and *then* compress it to mpg. Otherwise your quality will take a dive.
I'll try those other formats in the VideoPak software to see if they turn out better than DivX did. Thanks. :)
Personally, I like Vdub (to get it to huffyuv) and then tmpgenc for the final mpg. ^_^
Thanks for the tip. I know Vdub is Virtual Dub, but what's tmpgenc?

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:53 pm

Rubystars1000 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I know Vdub is Virtual Dub, but what's tmpgenc?
Heh, I don't know. I think of it as 'T'he 'MPG' 'ENC'oder. It's called TMPGEnc in the guides - it's the only real mpg encoder they talk about. ^_^;;

Rubystars1000
Org Profile

Post by Rubystars1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:53 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:
Rubystars1000 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I know Vdub is Virtual Dub, but what's tmpgenc?
Heh, I don't know. I think of it as 'T'he 'MPG' 'ENC'oder. It's called TMPGEnc in the guides - it's the only real mpg encoder they talk about. ^_^;;

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:34 pm

Rubystars1000 wrote:I think I may end up having to get some library books about adobe premiere, for example, because I can't make sense of it.
<a href="http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutori ... m">Here</a>. For the most part I doubt you'll ever use a single effect they cover however just watching the how they setup the basic steps and more importantly why they do it will help you understand Premiere. <a href="http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutori ... .htm">This one</a> in particular is rather complex and covers a lot of things you need to understand even if you never do this effect. Towards the bottom they have a rather useful 'basics of keyframing' tutorial as well, a topic that isn't understood by nearly as many people as it should be.
So now I have to keep trying and do something else. I'm looking for the logo away filter right now, but I can't find it.
<a href="http://www.republika.pl/voidon/virtualdub/">Here</a>. Very first link in a google search. Don't use downloaded footage...

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:43 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:
Actually, it stands for Tsunami MPeG ENCoder.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:05 pm

Tsunami MPEG encoder is the full name, but it's known more commonly as TMPG or TMPGenc. It has a pretty good reputation as the best mpeg 1 encoder on the market, and a high runner for mpeg 2 as well. I think CCE 2.50 is still considered the best mpeg 2 encoder available, but it costs $1950 more than TMPGenc ($50 iirc) for not a revolutionary difference.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:06 pm

Scintilla wrote:Actually, it stands for Tsunami MPeG ENCoder.
My speed = pwned :|

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”