- Member: zeugma440
- Title: High Hopes
- Premiered: 2004-03-01
- Pink Floyd High Hopes
My second video relies more on atmosphere than on action. I tried my best to illustrate this beautiful song and render its unique atmosphere.
I - GENESIS
I knew I had to make an AMV on High Hopes. This song has been haunting me since the first time I heard it. I just had to make a good anime choice...
Once again, I applied my favourite technique, constisting of browsing several anime with their sound turned off, while listening to Pink Floyd. Scrapped Princess caught my attention... until it dawned on me that the bridge of the song could be awesome if I illustrated it with the 'cliff' scene (you know what I mean), thus creating a link with the beginning of the AMV :)
II - GETTING TO WORK
This time I was aware that :
1) A 'normal' human being can't create a complex AMV just by using virtualDub (and my project required more special effects than Bless the Child)
2) Premiere and I were not destined to be friends
Following the piece of advice a friend gave me, I made several tests on Vegas Video 3.0. Despite its ludicrous name, the software turned out to be way easier to handle than Premiere. High Hopes was to be made with VirtualDub and Vegas 3.0.
Finding the ideas, editing the video and getting feedback from my friends took me something like 20-30 hours, spread on one month and a half. The most difficult part was the 'non-explicit-spoiler' rule that I chose to follow.
This time I tried to respect the lyrics while choosing my excerpts. I'm quite satisfied with the result.
III - MISC. INFORMATION
* I thought about the 'pillars' scene (middle of the AMV) quite early after choosing the song, but I had absolutely no idea of how I could do that. After an hour playing with masks, video tracks and light effects, my experiments on Vegas succeeded in creating what I had in mind :)
* The 'fake spoiler' at the end came to my mind as I was editing... the end of the AMV. I just had the fitting rushes to conclude the AMV with Shannon's mysterious death...
* One or two week before starting High Hopes, I was on the verge of creating another AMV called Panzer Dragoon Shannon, featuring SuperGreenX's 'More than A Weapon' Remix. One of my friends then told me that it would be quite boring to illustrate with an AMV. I have to thank this guy, who made me realize that making an instrumental AMV is really hard. I might try it later, though ^^