- Member: MisterFurious
- Studio: Future Boy Digital Productions
- Title: The Other Side
- Premiered: 2007-05-25
- Character Profile
- David Gray The Other Side
- Fanime Con 2007, Fanime Con 2007 (2007-05-27)
- Anime Expo 2007, Anime Expo 2007 AMV Contest (2007-06-29)
- METROCON, 2007 METROCON AMV Contest (2007-07-08)
- Sac Anime 2007, Sac Anime 2007 (2007-07-14)
- Otakon, Otakon AMV Contest (2007-07-20)
- Nan Desu Kan 2007, NDK AMV Contest 2007 (2007-09-15)
- Nan Desu Kan 2007, Nan Desu Kan 2007 (2007-09-15)
I first heard the song while watching the short-lived ABC series "Day Break." It's a sad song about loss and its effect on personal relationships. In its original context, "the other side" refers to the afterlife, but "FullMetal Alchemist" is not just about Al & Ed losing their mother, but Ed losing his brother to "the other side" of the gate. Add in Ed's rocky relationship with Winry, and I felt that this made for a perfect fit.
Editing was originally done on my MacBook running Final Cut Pro 5, but only a few days after its premiere at FanimeCon, my laptop was stolen before I had had a chance to re-master the video and add titles for distribution. My original Final Cut Pro project was gone forever, as well as my high-quality original masters. My desktop computer only had a MPEG2 copy, so I had to manually re-create the video by returning to my original footage, which I did on the MacBook Pro I purchased to replace the MacBook. Having more time to work on re-assembling the footage allowed me to, for the first time, make a change to one of my videos after its original premiere. Most of the changes are not noticeable, such as timings, but one shot was replaced.
The video submitted here is my final version, including a dedication to my older brother, who died when I was 17.