Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
So, thanks to our five judges, we finally have the results. We may get some playlist over time, but for now let's just sum it up.
The judges were (those who didn't care me naming them):
None of the judges knew who were the other judges (except for mirkosp who announced his status of judge publicly).
The judges couldn't vote in the category they had a video in/they were nominated in with the only exception of Ileia in Best Use of Special Effects where she was allowed to vote upon insisting her video Alive, which was nominated by other judge, has no SFX in it. She rated it one (the lowest score) to not break the voting system.
Following are the results in this format:
Name of category (max. number of points a video could have gotten)
Winning vid (points gotten) - marked with an asterisk if I decided it on a tie
Some comments on it from our judges, if available.
Videos on the second and third place, together, in alphabetical order.
Well, here we go:Best Action Video (44)SOUL?GROOVE (36)
- Upbeat, fun to watch, one of the best Soul Eater vids out there.De:Light
Saturday Night Fight Club
testosteROSBest Character Profile (55)Evangelion Complex (51)
- This song is so perfect for Shinji.
- This takes quite possibly the most overdone of all character profiles and makes it new and interesting again.Being a Superstar
For The Love of The GameBest Collaborative Video (44)testosteROS (35)D-ON!
Magical BreakerBest Comedy Video (45)A Feel Good AMV (38)
- So few comedy AMVs actually make me laugh, this one delivers.
- Screams comedy from ever scene. A very amusing selection of fitting clips makes this stand out in its technical semplicity. Also, reismirk was just flooring.Lawl & Order: Legal Tender
Bloocheck: Dynamic Movie VoiceBest Dance Video (45)Dance Dance Revolution: Ike Ike (30)
- The DDR craze may be over but this video is maddeningly addictive.Bakadance!
Lord of the Anime
Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana! Sana!!!
Shake Eet!Best Dramatic Video (48)Time (35)
- Has two key dramatic points which have even more impact due to the good storytelling. The ending is especially strong since it does manage to leave a strong bittersweet taste to the viewer.Focal Perspective
Nuvole d'OceanoBest First Video (70)Is This a Mad World? (46*)
- Given the often-used song and source, I'm amazed at how this is able to keep my
interest. A good job in my book.[Re-Evo] New Wave Jacket
ENVIRONMENTAL SECUREBest Fun Video (60)Senpai Says (42)
- You need to see it at a con for the full effect, but this is soooo good.
- While, I think this IS one of the most fun amvs, especially at a convention, I don’t think it's fair to vote it up in a category when it's not available for the rest of the community to see.Bakadance!
Magic Oven MittensBest Horror Video (55)Eliminate, Extirpate, Asphyxiate... (43)
- Hands down, this video has a really dark mood. Definitely worth of the Best Horror title. Some of the editing tricks could be considered somewhat "cheap," but they were meant to be there so every complaint is just an attempt to bitching.Being A Superstar
GleeBest Multi-Editor Project (44)Video Game Project 5 - Revival of Heroes! (44)
- Quality tracks all-around, even when you haven't played some
of these games, it's still a fun and interesting video to watch.
- If you're going to make a long MEP, it needs to have some kind of substance to hold it together. That this actually creates a narrative while parodying and playing around with its own 'revival of heroes' theme makes it possible to sit through AND enjoy.AuN Project 2009 - TouhouMix
L∞PBest No-Effects Video (48)Atom Bomb (31*)
- This video is such a blast every time I watch it! It's just so perfect and enjoyable as it is that I strongly believe that any change or even the slightest added effect would ruin its neverending flow. Amazing editing that really does show off how simple cuts and fades can make for an awesome piece of AMV. Number 1
Saturday Night Fight Club
This Is HalloweenBest Parody Video (55)iDespair (44)Bloocheck: Dynamic Movie Voice
Lawl & Order: Legal TenderBest Romantic Video (48)Nuvole d'Oceano (40)
- If there's a genre this fits best in, it's romance. Clearly, it shows love in a very unique way, and that is why I believe it excels especially in this category.Creative Black Space
Opposites AttractBest Sentimental Video (65)Reason to Smile (45*)Butterflies of God
Only BobBest Storytelling (60)Rainbow Bebop (46)Chillout
Lawl & Order: Legal Tender
TimeBest Trailer or Commercial (70)Bloocheck: Dynamic Movie Voice (69)
- Original and hilarious, good use of dialogue.
- Rather than just play on an existing theme, this trailer makes fun of actually creating a trailer.Kawaii Girls: Ultimate Dating Simulator
To Boldly Drill
WatchmenchiBest Use of Instrumental Music (50)Nuvole d'Oceano (45)
- Beautiful, a good watchButterflies of God
Ghost In The MachineBest Use of Lip Synch (50)Creative Black Space (49)
- Hands down best lip-synch I've ever seen, let alone best of this year.A Feel Good AMV
We Need You!Best Use of Multiple Anime (60)Hello World (48)
- The various anime are used in such a way that if you weren't familiar with them, you might
even think it was all from the same anime.Bloocheck: Dynamic Movie Voice
Ian Fleming's Property of a Lady
We Need You!Best Use of Special Effects (60)Ian Fleming's Property of a Lady (48)
- Extremely well-done effects, feels almost like a real opening.Butterflies of God
Only BobMost Artistic Video (33)Nuvole d'Oceano (28*)Eviscerated Butterfly
Butterflies of GodMost Original Video (52)Bloocheck: Dynamic Movie Voice (41)Blazing Stewardesses
Butterflies of GodVideo of the Year (44)Time (35)Butterflies of God
Continuous PlayEditor of the Year (18)qwaqa (17)Fall_Child42 (Dr. Dinosaur)
IleiaMost Helpful Member (24)mirkosp (22)
- Always goes above and beyond the call of mod-duty, his name is a constant for the video help
ZarxraxMost Improved Editor (32)Moonlight Soldier (25)
- Her videos continue to get better and better. Next is just to break out of her usual
Nya-chan ProductionRookie of the Year (40)Darklydone (33)Tana-sama
If you find any mistakes in naming or links, please write so, so I can fix it.
It was fun - see you in a year o/