Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 am

I had the weekend off, so I thought I would make something quick... but I really liked where it was going, so I finished it off today. There's even an indirect link to megaupload for the Xvid version... or yousendit here

[vidid=146782]

[<i>this goes along with the video</i>]----->
-------------------------------------------------
<i>f</i>light; Starting off the day with these thoughts.
Cell Phones
<i>f</i>ighting an Invader; the look in her Brown Eyes after it's over
More cell scenes. Pause... contemplating its use... then turning it off
[without feeding her own soul]
Shattered.

<i>Keep moving along</i>

The rest of the World.
backwards Beat
still here

bell*

the shadow walks into a Bird
outlined Connection
Brown Eyes

Interesting; it finally happened.
Jerk

Don't look Back
Back at school
Triplet

Brown Eyes.
---------------------------

*watch the anime
[p.s. I'm not a poet^^]

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby Athena » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Oh shi- A new Phantasm vid.

The sync seemed really inconsistent to me. I liked the mood, and the editing was there, but I just felt you left too many beats untouched.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby post-it » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:25 am

.. so .. the point was .. how she felt about the birds almost being run-over ?
post-it

Postby JudgeHolden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 am

The point is the plain coolness of the first half of the video, for the first half was far stronger than the second half of it. This is odd, since it's only a two minute video. As Kio said, it's inconsistent and only concentrates on the Backbeat. The sudden drops to black make it look unfinished as well. Overall though, I love the mood, the the first part I thought rocked. :D
ImageImageImageImage
JudgeHolden

Postby Reigna » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Really cool atmosphere kept throughout the vid. Now I want to check out this series too. >> Nice work overall. :)
Casting white shadows.
Reigna
is actually a penguin in boots

Postby rubyeye » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 pm

I just downloaded it because I was just thinking about Gatekeepers 21 the other night. It's a good short OVA, far better than the original series. Thanks for making a video to it. I thought it was different and I like different. There were a few synch beats I found somewhat distracting because they felt too perfectly timed. I prefer videos that ebb and flow with the music, they way real music videos are made. But it was short and to the point and I liked it.
rubyeye

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Oh... maybe I should have mentioned that this video is NOTHING like my last video which was mainly an exercise in sync. This video is all about scenes, mood, meaning etc. ... ... Yes, there are metaphors and shit in this one @_@

The purpose can't be more self-explanatory than 'character profile' about someone who tries to bear the brunt of the world on their shoulders. There is a central theme relying heavily on flight/escape. I could have written a book about everything I did, like the symbolism @ 0:55 for one example-- but like my English101 teacher would say: "don't write a book, write a poem." Hopefully, that helps, but there is more in the vid profile too.

So now that that's out of the way,

Kionon wrote:I liked the mood, and the editing was there, but I just felt you left too many beats untouched.

my guess is you were more focused on sync edits after watching my last amv. Here, I thought that would be more of a distraction, and people would be more focused on the editing rather than what's actually on the screen [didn't Beowulf make a rant about something like this?]

post-it wrote:.. so .. the point was .. how she felt about the birds almost being run-over ?

...um, no. After reading the central theme mentioned, there are several ways of interpreting that scene. There is no correct answer. Ironically, it has little to do with birds.

JudgeHolden wrote:The point is the plain coolness of the first half of the video, for the first half was far stronger than the second half of it. This is odd, since it's only a two minute video. As Kio said, it's inconsistent and only concentrates on the Backbeat. The sudden drops to black make it look unfinished as well. Overall though, I love the mood, the the first part I thought rocked. :D

Thank you :) Actually, even without mentioning what type of video this is, it's interesting that you noticed a difference in the second half-- The first half was supposed to be more intense [for lack of better word] where I tried to illustrate how Ayane tries to bear the brunt of the world by herself. In the second half, I tried to show how she keeps moving along... which isn't as exciting I guess... but moreover I incorporated the central theme of the need to escape.

Reigna wrote:Really cool atmosphere kept throughout the vid. Now I want to check out this series too. >> Nice work overall. :)

Thanks^^ you'll probably enjoy Gatekeepers 21. I really liked the animation.

rubyeye wrote:I thought it was different and I like different. There were a few synch beats I found somewhat distracting because they felt too perfectly timed. I prefer videos that ebb and flow with the music, they way real music videos are made. But it was short and to the point and I liked it.

Glad you liked it :D And you took the words right out of my mouth regarding sync [see my note to Kio]

Phantasmagoriat

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 pm

This video is so awesome I don't even know how to properly express it. Unlike those who have posted so far, I thought the sync worked really well - and I liked the way you kept changing up the way you'd sync. Sometimes inconsistencies like that make a video feel disconnected, but in this case I didn't feel that at all. I love all the symbolism, and it's obvious there's a lot going on beneath the surface here. The only problem I have were
JudgeHolden wrote:The sudden drops to black

Other than that, phantastic work, I like this a lot better than Awakened.

5/5 :up:
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby omegaevolution » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:35 pm

mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

Anyway great work 4/5 :up:

PS: I think those "drops to black" worked well ;)
ImageImage
omegaevolution

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:41 pm

omegaevolution wrote:mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

x2, just no drops to black. Those drive me crazy.

3.8/5
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:15 am

CrackTheSky wrote:This video is so awesome I don't even know how to properly express it. Unlike those who have posted so far, I thought the sync worked really well - and I liked the way you kept changing up the way you'd sync. Sometimes inconsistencies like that make a video feel disconnected, but in this case I didn't feel that at all. I love all the symbolism, and it's obvious there's a lot going on beneath the surface here. The only problem I have were
JudgeHolden wrote:The sudden drops to black

Other than that, phantastic work, I like this a lot better than Awakened.

5/5 :up:

Thank you very much =). phantastic... -_- lol see general comments too.
p.s. thanks for the qc on Don't Blink Astro, I almost forgot about that one.

omegaevolution wrote:mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

thanks^^ yes it was a short one... in fact, I shaved 15 seconds off. Glad the drops to black worked for you. Also see below.

code_chrono wrote:x2, just no drops to black. Those drive me crazy.

3.8/5

same as omega's response :P, but see general comments.

General comments:
WARNING: if you hate the artsy side of English class, just don't read this. However, the amv can still be good for the aesthetics.

The drops to black was a fun thought to play with. There are sharp cuts to black, normal fades, and slight fades which suddenly cut off... kind of like '!' Anyways, for more symbolism junk... How many times does it go '!' ? What's the title of the vid? Triplet? [teh poem]. woooooooh. And how did it End? woooooooh.

If I ever say Flight/Escape, I mean as in: "Everyone needs to escape some time." <strike>even people like</strike> especially people like Ayane that try to deal with all the shit in the world by themselves.
Since that is the theme, it probably could have been the title-- but instead, "Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes" is synonymous to that. Simply put:
Cell Phones: a means of escape-- being somewhere else that you are really not...
Birds: Flight... Escape...
Brown Eyes: The gates to the soul. Escape doesn't always have to be outward, it can be inward as well...

pretty much everything relies on that. 'the shadow walks into a Bird' actually shows Ayane's shadow walking into... well... you see it. Now think of what that could mean, and how it connects with the following scenes. To save myself from writing too much... see the poem which goes exactly in sequence with the video. I was thinking "Don't write a book, write a poem. Don't make a movie, make an AMV." [That should totally be on a banner...]

To address the inconsistent sync, I guess that's just the way I hear the song, so I synced what stood out most to me. I was more concerned with scene selection this time around. If you analyze the video with these things in mind, the video should make you think a bit [except don't think too much about the Bell, with has more to do with the anime... but adds a bit of mystery to the video... hence why I added the "*"]

Phantasmagoriat

Postby Fizziks » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 am

I really enjoyed the calm mood you created through your music and scene selection. Very good work! :up:
Fizziks

Postby Kisanzi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 pm

I must say that your approach is very artistic and intriguing, but sadly the editing itself really doesn't delve as much as it should. As a fan of the show I know the character well and even after reading your descriptions and watching again, the visuals don't capture her inner turmoil. You do a good job showing her outward feelings, but as a whole the vid just appears to be an emo stroll through the city rather than an emotional, symbolic revelation. I don't mean to be harsh or bitter, I just have a high appreciation of the show and as a fan it didn't connect as much as I'd hoped.

The technical editing was good and I love your creative spin on the concept, but it almost seems that this vid works better if you don't know the backstory of the character.

Good effort though, I look forward to your next one.

PS: Yes, I know it goes with the poem you wrote. But unfortunately while that poem provided excellent artistic value, it also limited the amount of emotion and story you could include in the vid.
Image Image
Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:22 am

@Fizziks, glad you liked the atmosphere :)

@kisanzi, I totally see where you are coming from. The anime has a lot more to it than this video probably gives credit. However, I wanted to add an element of mystery, so the viewer can simply see what sort of emotion is there, without knowing why. So like you said, it probably works better for those who haven't seen the show. Your feedback is much appreciated.

In truth, I made this amv for the vehicle scene alone. All of the things I mentioned came rushing into my head the moment it occurred. I'm still a little unsure if the writers/artists did that scene like that on purpose, but the positioning, and camera focus couldn't have made a better statement. Ayane is there. The vehicle comes by. The camera shifts all of its focus to the birds. But where is Ayane? Then the following scene is introduced with Ayene's feet coming in from the top of the screen. With the focus on flight/escape, I thought that scene in the show was brilliant, so I thought I'd make something small, and share ^^

Phantasmagoriat

Return to AMV Announcements