History of AMV

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.
deiot
Org Profile

History of AMV

Postby deiot » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Does anyone have any history of how AMV began?
I'm trying to do a paper on AMV but the history of it all is almost know where to be found.
If anyone has any knowledge of this, do start talken... :D

HexagonParanoia
Org Profile

Postby HexagonParanoia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:53 pm

Used to be done in VCR...

Example:

Kevin Caldwell

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Postby Kusoyaro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:54 pm

PetitLove wrote:Used to be done in VCR...

Example:

Kevin Caldwell

Uh...none of the Caldwell videos that everyone spooges over were done on VCR.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

HexagonParanoia
Org Profile

Postby HexagonParanoia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:03 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:

Example:

Kevin Caldwell

really?

hmmm.... disregard my comment then. :P

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Postby Voices_Of_Ryan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:

Example:

Kevin Caldwell

You mean he didn't lip sync with a vcr? Well damn.

HAHAHA

No but serious... if anyone can lip sync with a vcr, i'd like to see that.
"hey... no"

Pyle
Org Profile

Postby Pyle » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:22 pm

I always thought he captured through that little stand-up machine I use. The one that leaves the icky multicolored line at the bottom.

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Postby pen-pen2002 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:54 pm

There have been a number of threads like this where people have given some very detailed answers to that question, including people who were actually a part of what is now "ancient history" as far as AMV's are concered.

Try the search function.

But the side of the story you won't hear is this:
Before computers, before editing stations and VCR's, before needle and thread. The true begining of AMV's are back in the stone age when Ogg Mc Ugh collected difrent collored rocks that looked like something (Probably other rocks) and tied them together in a line with vines. Then he threw it at people while banging two rocks together. Modern animation was born... Sorta. :wink:

shumira_chan
Org Profile

Postby shumira_chan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:40 pm

You should also search old Usenet posts on Google.
Look for Bobby Beaver (C-ko) and Marc Hairston.
"You Know Who" made his Girls With Guns/Dirty Pair
AMV 15 years ago, and it's easily one of my favourites.
I've found some other stuff he made way before that and it's
also amazing, I'll have to get around to digitizing it and
putting it on the web some day...

Good luck!

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Postby badmartialarts » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:23 pm

Two of the elder statesmen around here are Vlad G Pohnert and RichLather. Most of the others don't post or have dropped out of the hobby.....
Life's short.
eBayhard.

HexagonParanoia
Org Profile

Postby HexagonParanoia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Two of the elder statesmen around here are Vlad G Pohnert and RichLather. Most of the others don't post or have dropped out of the hobby.....

I saw them recently 8-) .

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Postby Pie Row Maniac » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:40 pm

What's funny to me is that half the people into AMVs are younger than the actual hobby itself.

Including myself. Kinda.
Image Image

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: History of AMV

Postby trythil » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:49 pm

deiot wrote:Does anyone have any history of how AMV began?
I'm trying to do a paper on AMV but the history of it all is almost know where to be found.
If anyone has any knowledge of this, do start talken... :D

(26) And God said, Let us make Editor in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the Video of the DVD, and over the music of the CD, and over the Premiere, and all over the Computer, and over every Bit that creepeth upon the Computer. (27) So God created Editor in his own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them. (28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and Edit, and replenish A-M-V.org, and fill it: and have dominion over the Music, and over the Animation from the Empire of Japan, and over every video upon the face of the Computer. (29) And God said, Behold, I have given you every Video Production Device, which is upon the face of the Computer, and every Operating System, in the which is the fruit of a system bearing ideas; and to you it shall be meat. (30) And to every stream of Music, and to every Animation from the Empire of Japan, and over every Bit that creepeth upon the Computer, wherein there is content, I have given every binary digit as material: and it was so. (31) And God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the on and off were the sixth day.

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Postby RichLather » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Too right, Pie. Too right. I do so love being able to say to many of the people here that "I was old school when you were in kindergarten" and have it not be an idle brag.

AMVs did indeed begin with the good ol' "two VCRs and a fast finger on the pause button". That's how Corn Pone Flicks' Matt Murray did it with some of his early works, like "Christmas at Ground Zero" and "Slime Creatures from Outer Space" both using Weird Al songs.

I had the benefit of using a professional VHS setup in college, but it was still all videotape--this is long before DVDs and broadband Internet connections could be considered as viable options, hell it was before the World Wide Web took off.

Back in '89 it was predominantly me, Matt Murray and a handful of others--at least in the Southeast.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: History of AMV

Postby Mr Pilkington » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:39 pm

deiot wrote:Does anyone have any history of how AMV began?

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_myprofile.php?user_id=73
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 am

Anime Music Videos are about 21 years old now... 1983 is about the time that the first AMV(s) started to emerge... Most of them were done back then by people who had access to video editing suites and two VHS decks since owning 2 VCRs back then was a luxury that only a few could afford... To give you some idea why, When I had my first VHS machine back in 1984-85, Video tapes would cost me about $12.00 US for standard grade, and that was considered cheap...

Anyway, in around the late 80s, two VCRs were getting common and so "Home" made AMVs started to appear... The trick back then was to try to make your edits without the "Rainbows" since Flying erase head VCRs back then costed you about $1200 US. I kid you not since my first 4 head Hi-Fi VCR cost me that much!

Back then as well, AMVs were a cult of a small group of people and AMV contests were shown in rooms the size of shoe boxes. Most people laughed at us and figured it was a novelty and would wear out. Boy were they wrong!

a Lot of AMVs on VCRs were made in the 90s.. a lot of them suffered from poor quality and audio/video drops. Getting clean and good footage was an issue due to the costs and availability.

What made the breakthrough in better quality videos in the 90s was Laser Disk!! Although 30 minutes of anime tended to cost about $50-75 US, most of us were silly enough to buy them. Heck, I bought all the Gundam 0083 discs at $60.00 per episode and used them to make my first Gundam video back in 1983... So there should be no whining about not being able to afford your sources!! Also keep in mind that if you adjust for inflation, ot would be like buying your anime discs for $100.00+ a pop!

Ironically, some of the first digitally "Home Made Videos" started to appear as early as 1983, but you were editing with resolutions no better then 320x240 and crashes would happened almost after every second edit (you guys are way to spoiled today).... And rendering ment a coffee break so visual effects weren't even a consideration. (No wonder us old editors are so addicted to coffee)…

What do I remember of editing on two VCRs... Hmmmm sore back from bending over the two units... having to listed to the songs 1,000,000 times over a weekend since after 1 or two edits you needed to review things before going on.. Walking 30 miles to the only anime VHS bootleg rental place to get sources :wink:

Well, there you have it, History of AMV 101...

BTW, sad thing is, less and less people these days seems to watch the older stuff or figure it's not very good... At Anime Evolutions I had a hour of oldies and the attendance tended to drop off :cry: .... And yes, half the people here where in diapers when I edited my first Music Video :P

Vlad

Return to “General AMV”