The Side Characters Challenge! ***SPOILERS***

This forum is for the sharing of AMV ideas and for help finding clips in anime to use in AMVs.

The Side Characters Challenge! ***SPOILERS***

Postby dj_ultima_the_great » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 am

Alrighty, folks, this one is a big one. I really love AMVs, but 1200 local videos later, I must say that I am getting extremely sick of seeing videos about the main characters. Maybe it happened when I saw Chi "awaken" for the 40th time, or when Saya cut down that guy on the train with her sword for the 22nd time, but somewhere along the way, I started having a very bad opinion of people's AMV-making abilities. So, with that said, I offer every AMV creator on this website a challenge. I'm going to give you people an fairly extensive list of anime to choose from and some guidelines to go by. What I want is simply this: a video that does not have any main characters in it, but rather focuses on the stories of the side characters and their roles. And, so , here is the list!

Ah! My Goddess - NO Belldandy or Keiichi, avoid Celestine if possible

Angel Sanctuary - NO Setsuna or Sara

Angelic Layer - NO Misaki or ANY of the Angels and their battles, avoid
Misaki's mother if possible

Blood The Last Vampire - NO Saya (I know that this will be diffcult, but I'd like to see someone's efforts to accomplish this end)

Chobits - NO Chi or Hideki

Fruits Basket - NO Tohru or Yuki or Kyou

Gravitation - NO Shuichi or Yuki

Kare Kano - NO Miyazawa or Arima

Love Hina - NO Narusegawa or Keitaro

Neon Genesis Evangelion - NO Shinji or Asuka or Rei or ANY Evangelion battles, avoid Misato if possible

Noir - NO Kirika or Mireille or ANY gunfights

Pokemon - NO Ash or Brock or Misty or ANY pokemon

Serial Experiments Lain - NO Lain

Tokyo Babylon - NO Subaru, avoid Seishirou and Hokuto if possible

Trigun - NO Vash, avoid Wolfwood, Meryl, and Milly if possible

X (the movie or the series) - NO Kamui or Fuma

Yami no Matsuei - NO Tsuzuki or Hisoka

Yu-Gi-Oh! - NO Yugi or ANY of the Duel Monsters

Some very good examples of what I'm looking for are listed below with my comments...by the way, some of these videos (but not my comments) may contain spoilers...

Chobits - Evanescence - My Immortal, edited by Brolli12; this video is not only very well done and touching, but Chi and Hideki are NOT the stars. They are seen only in passing, as a background object, and nothing more.

Fruits Basket - Fuel - Falls on Me, edited by staces; a video all about Kisa! Though there are quite a few Tohru scenes in this video, they are only used to further the story of Kisa. Because the editor used fansubs, there wasn't much unsubtitled Kisa footage to use. To remedy this, staces cut down the song from 4 minutes to 2. The video was, in the editor's own words, "short and sweet."

Fruits Basket - Various Songs (Titled: "A Song for Everyone" and "A Song for Everyone - Volume II",) edited by RubyHatchet; these two videos are nearly perfect and exactly what I have in mind. In this case, the editor did a sequence of several short videos put to different songs and strung together, with each section highlighting a particular character.

Kare Kano - Joga - Dam Dariram, edited by Lostboy; ah, the adorably frightful Tsubasa Shibahime...I'm glad someone made a video for her. Those who watch will notice that this is a short and fast Dance Dance Revolution song about love. This is a great video that only shows Miyazawa and Arima when they interact with Tsubasa.

Kare Kano - Hideki Naganuma - Sweet Soul Brother, edited by MeriC; Not entirely what I'm looking for because it also emphasizes Arima, but a good video that shows Asaba doing what he does best: being a weirdo-freak/"sex god," or so he thinks.

Serial Experiments Lain - Elliot Smith - Happiness, edited by Kwasek; though this isn't exactly what I have in mind, either, it is a very good example of telling the story of the main character through side characters. Lain herself only appears for about half or less of the video, and side characters make up the rest of it.

Trigun - Pearl Jam - Jeremy, edited by Zerophite (note: this video cannot be downloaded on a-m-v.org, but it is possible to find it on Kazaa); a very nice video about Knives........there's not much more to say than that!

X TV - Madonna - Like a Prayer, edited by Karen-chan (note: this video is a Direct download, not Local); this video is about Karen, of course. The song is befitting, and the editing is passable, though not perfect (no offense to the editor!) It has an example of something I don't want, though: SUBTITLES. I read the editor's comments which stated that the subtitles were intentional for that video, but for my challenge I don't want any. It does, however, follow my other requirements: it is about a side character and contains little to no footage of a main character.

Yami no Matsuei (listed as Descendants of Darkness) - Interview with the Vampire Soundtrack - Madeleine's Lament, edited by Keleih; a touching and angsty video about Tsubaki (called "Princess Tsubaki.") It is the only video listed here that is put to an instrumental piece - yet, it manages to completely tell the story of a side character in YnM.

Well, after ALL of that, I hope I have given my fellow AMV creators some inspiration to take up my challenge. People who can rip from DVDs will probably have the easiest time completing a video for this, but anyone willing to avoid or get rid of subtitles on fansubs should be able to manage this, too. So, one last time, here are the guidelines!

- NO main characters
- NO subtitles
- pick an appropriate song for the character/s that you decide to represent
- really put forth some effort, NO 2 hour projects, please

I don't think that I'm asking too much. I just want a good video that has something other than a main character with scenes I've seen dozens of times in it. For anyone who wishes to take up my challenge, Good Luck and Happy AMV-ing!

- dj_ultima_the_great
dj_ultima_the_great

Postby TobinHood » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?vid_id=24353
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.
TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:46 pm

TobinHood wrote:Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

I x2 that.
[size=0][url=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=62984]
Image[/url]Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching
Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]

Re: The Side Characters Challenge!

Postby jasper-isis » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:18 pm

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Ah! My Goddess - NO Belldandy or Keiichi, avoid Celestine if possible

Well... it's not really devoid of Belldandy/Keiichi/Celestine, but here's a Morgan character profile.

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Fruits Basket - NO Tohru or Yuki or Kyou

AMV on the story of Hatori and Kana.

I love side characters. :D Maybe I'll take up your challenge on Noir and X TV.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby Muyo_Ryu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:07 pm

What you have said is very interesting and very true. Personally, I'm not the kind that adore main characters in a series (Except for Kamui *.* ) *cough*

Here's a music video I made a few weeks ago. It's about Haku and Zabuza from Naruto. Unfortunatly Naruto does appear for a few seconds, but I tried my best to create a biography of the two lonely shinobi.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=45126

It's not a bad AMV, u might like it :)
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza
Muyo_Ryu

Postby Corran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:40 pm

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] wrote:
TobinHood wrote:Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

I x2 that.

Thanks guys. ^_^

Here are two other Shinobu videos that I very much enjoyed.
Shinobu's Friendship by Trunkims
Shinobu in the Middle by Marlex
Corran

Postby Coffee 54 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:06 pm

I'm with you here, in quite a few cases I like the side characters more then the main. Side characters can make great videos, Corran's is a perfect example of this.
Unfortunately I don't have any of the anime mentioned above so I can't take any of your challenges. However, I am toying around with the idea of doing a vid for Norris from 08th MS Team.
Coffee 54

Postby pinky75910 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:56 pm

I agree. I can't think of any Trigun vid that hasn't been done already sparkling new concept. I get really tired of all these Fruits Basket romances that are the same thing.

I'm sure you can find plenty of Muraki vids from Yami no Matseui. My two fav YNM vids are a romance to "Ghost of You & Me" and a fantastic must-see comedy to what else, YMCA.

I've made a Yu-Gi-Oh vid that still needs a tad bit of polishing. It focuses specifically on Little Yugi, an oft-forgot hero of the story. http://animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewt ... ht=#544254
I have a request on the back burner for a future Kaiba vid.

I should think your goal might be acheived if the main chars are in a scene or two.

I have plans of making some multi-char profile type vids to my fav anime, but unfortunately not an anime you're likely a fan of ^_^ Your loss. If you'd like to hazard a guess at this anime, check what almost all my vids are to.
pinky75910

Re: The Side Characters Challenge!

Postby pinky75910 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:01 pm

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Pokemon - NO Ash or Brock or Misty or ANY pokemon

What's left? Team Rocket?

This here though has gotta be my fav Poke-vid. Enjoy

http://animemusicvideos.org/members/mem ... hp?v=27433
pinky75910

Postby badmartialarts » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:43 pm

I'm planning a Deus character profile. But I just need a song.....(never tried going from video to song before, always the other way)
Life's short.
eBayhard.
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist

Postby godix » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 am

I'll pass on your challenge. I've already made a video using a character that has all of 3 or 4 minutes screentime in Lain. How many obscure characters is one man expected to use?
godix
a disturbed member

Wow, I can't believe so many people responded!

Postby dj_ultima_the_great » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:06 pm

As the subject line states, I've been a bit floored. This was my first time ever posting in a forum, and I've been a tad surprised by the response. Though I'm grateful for the attention, there was a few things I wanted to mention...

I forgot to add something to the guidelines, although I sort of figured it was a given.

- the song may be cut down if there is not enough available footage to be worked with (like in the case of the Fruits Basket - Fuel - Falls on Me video)

To respond to some of the comments made...

godix - That's very good that you've thought outside the box and already did a video based on a side character. Thank you!

Sousaphonist - What about Oojirou and his crush on Shuuko? That would make a good character profile. Or how about Sai and her little sister? You might have to cut down whatever song you choose, but they would certainly be unique videos.

pinky75910 - Actually, yes, there IS Team Rocket. But also, what about Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny? And there is always short and sweet videos that you could make about any of the people the team (or the twerps, depending on whose side you're looking from ^_^) meets during the episodes. And, as for your second comment, I think a video about the Gung Ho Guns as a whole would be a nice concept if someone could find a good song. As for Fruits Basket, how about a character profile of Momiji? Or Hiro? I didn't find ANY videos that showed them exclusively (except for "A Song for Everyone II," but that detailed many side and main characters.)

Coffee 54 - how about a video game music video then? I'm an avid gamer, but I chose not to list them because some would be very very difficult (if you've played it, then think FFVIII - it has only one cutscene for each of the side characters, and the rest are all Squall and Rinoa)

Muyo_Ryu - Though I personally DO enjoy main characters, I get annoyed quickly when I see the same scenes repeatedly. Ah, Kamui...mmm *drool*.....................oh, um...............I heart Kamui! Sadly, I haven't seen Naruto, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to judging the video by my guidelines. I will watch it, though, despite the fact that I won't know what's going on.

Jasper-Isis - I hadn't seen the Morgan profile video, it must have been made recently; but it was indeed a very good video, if not completely in what my guidelines would state had it been made for that purpose. I also watched the Kana and Hatori video (which I had already downloaded not long ago.) That was also a well-done video. I do have one complaint, though - Kana and Hatori videos are NOT in short supply. I seem to remember downloading quite a few of them. Not all of them were GOOD, mind you, but they were there.

There's something everyone should know. Though I do very much appreciate having those other videos pointed out to me, I don't really want ones that have been already made. I've SEEN those. I want new ones to be made. Also, there's something else I wanted to mention. I download videos in a very systematic way. I do it alphabetically. Even though I've gotten nearly 1200 videos, I'm only on "L" (Love Hina) right now. So, I haven't seen what this site has to offer past that letter yet. At least, not much.

With all that said, I have just a few more comments.

- if you need a suggestion for an appropriate song for a character, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do...
- I'll give you my e-mail address; I would rather be contacted that way. Since no one else e-mails me, it would be a nice filter for people who just want to talk to me about this post and possibly future ones

***dj_ultima_the_great@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your comments, and I hope to attract more people to my challenge!

- dj_ultima_the_great
dj_ultima_the_great

Postby pinky75910 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm

<<As the subject line states, I've been a bit floored. This was my first time ever posting in a forum, and I've been a tad surprised by the response. Though I'm grateful for the attention, there was a few things I wanted to mention... >>

Welcome to the Forum. If you care to make vid suggestions, by all means, this is the place to be.

<<pinky75910 - Actually, yes, there IS Team Rocket. But also, what about Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny? And there is always short and sweet videos that you could make about any of the people the team (or the twerps, depending on whose side you're looking from ^_^) meets during the episodes. >>

Okay, and what can one say about them in a vid? Those one-ep chars are easily forgettable, and Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, while omni-present, are pretty two-dimensional. What kind of song could you do with that? Those two chars are pretty much doing about the same thing in every ep, don’t show a lot of depth of char. Can’t think how I could make that interesting.

<<And, as for your second comment, I think a video about the Gung Ho Guns as a whole would be a nice concept if someone could find a good song. >>

I’m sure it would. What is Gung Ho Guns? Which second comment?

<<As for Fruits Basket, how about a character profile of Momiji? Or Hiro? I didn't find ANY videos that showed them exclusively (except for "A Song for Everyone II," but that detailed many side and main characters.) >>

Momiji char prof? K, lovely idea – Got a song in mind? What aspect of his char would you want to explore?

<<There's something everyone should know. Though I do very much appreciate having those other videos pointed out to me, I don't really want ones that have been already made. I've SEEN those. I want new ones to be made. >>

The first vid I suggested, my Yu-Gi-Oh vid about Little Yugi. You haven’t seen that. It’s not listed on the org or anywhere else, just in the announcements forum where I’ve been asking for feedback on final polishing before I submit it.

<<- if you need a suggestion for an appropriate song for a character, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do... >>

I’m likely to do a Yu-Gi-Oh vid. I like to do different things, so I’ve put up two funny ygo vids. Fruits Basket, I’m not sure I have enough footage to do lesser known chars, but I could look into getting some if you have an idea in mind. Give me a proper suggestion – give me a char you like and a song. Or any other kind of vid idea/suggestion.

- I'll give you my e-mail address; I would rather be contacted that way. Since no one else e-mails me, it would be a nice filter for people who just want to talk to me about this post and possibly future ones

***dj_ultima_the_great@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your comments, and I hope to attract more people to my challenge!

- dj_ultima_the_great
pinky75910

Postby badmartialarts » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:38 pm

Shuuko? Oh...no, not Angelic Layer's Deuses....Serial Experiments Lain's character Deus. He only has like 7 scenes in Lain, though. I'm leaning toward a song already, too....
Life's short.
eBayhard.
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist

All I wanna say is "They don't really care about us&quo

Postby Muyo_Ryu » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:39 pm

dj_ultima_the_great

I have been following what is said in this thread and it's quite interesting. What do you think if I were to try a music video with multiple side characters to :: Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us Lyrics

Here are the lyrics:

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, aggravation
Everybody allegation
In the suite, on the news
Everybody dog food
Bang bang, shock dead
Everybody's gone mad

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that

Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Do me, Sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, strike me
Don't you black or white me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me of my pride
Oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy...
Set me free

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
trepidation, speculation
Everybody allegation
Everybody dog food
black man, black mail
Throw your brother in jail

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know I do really hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, speculation
Everybody litigation
Beat me, bash me
You can never trash me
Hit me, kick me
You can never get me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Some things in life they just don't wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin'
He wouldn't let this be

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, segregation
Everybody allegation
Everybody dog food
Kick me, strike me
Don't you wrong or right me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about
All I wanna say is that

I think with the right effects it would be just fit perfectly for what you had in mind. What do you think people?
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza
Muyo_Ryu

Next

Return to AMV Suggestions