2007 Logo Contest nominations begin.

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Thu May 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Nomination Page wrote:To be the most fair, entries are in random order.
:wink:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu May 03, 2007 7:16 pm

Yah, I KNOW, but you could put them on the page in random order and have that be the order 100% of the time for everyone...this is like, overkill? It's neat, though - also lets you view things more comparatively, as it were. Hrm, I keep catching myself thinking my votes have changed because the pink boxes aren't where I expect them to be.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu May 03, 2007 8:25 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Yah, I KNOW, but you could put them on the page in random order and have that be the order 100% of the time for everyone...this is like, overkill?
It's not overkill, it's basic psychology. Certain positions in a list are more likely to be noticed and selected than others. So even if you randomized the list once whatever ended up in those positions would have a slight advantage because of that. Randomizing the page each time eliminates that, presumably each logo would show up in the choice spots equally.

Put it another way. Lets say Google had 10 search results that were absolutely equal. So it randomized them and slotted them in the first 10 results. Do you think that whichever ended up #1 would have an advantage over the others? Same idea.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Fri May 04, 2007 7:14 am

Hrm, across the mass collective of voters, yes, a permanent order might lend a small advantage to the logos at the top, but the images are all pretty small - it's not like one or two or even four are leaping off the page ahead of everyone else - and how many people are going to keep refreshing/going back to that page to reconsider their nominations and get the full psychological effect of "don't vote for #1?" I guess it couldn't be randomized permanently on a user-by-user basis (?).

Anyways, folks have done a nice job of making sure everything is as fair as possible. :)

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Fri May 04, 2007 10:01 am

hmm tough selection this year =/

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri May 04, 2007 3:45 pm

DriftRoot wrote:I guess it couldn't be randomized permanently on a user-by-user basis (?).
Not really. The way it is randomized is through the mysql query that pulls up all competing logos rather than any randomizing php code. Even then, to make sure it is the same for a particular user each time, the random sequence of logo IDs would have to be stored somewhere, per user... mostly likely the DB. Way too much work to be worth it imo.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Sat May 05, 2007 2:05 am

can i nominate this one? |:>
Hi.

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sat May 05, 2007 11:59 pm

Corran wrote:the random sequence of logo IDs would have to be stored somewhere, per user... mostly likely the DB. Way too much work to be worth it imo.
Don't have to store them, just seed the PRNG with something user-specific, like the userid. This of course only works if the list of logos is constant (but then, so does any stored order).

Of course, I don't see the point of doing that, either.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun May 06, 2007 9:22 am

derobert wrote:
Corran wrote:the random sequence of logo IDs would have to be stored somewhere, per user... mostly likely the DB. Way too much work to be worth it imo.
Don't have to store them, just seed the PRNG with something user-specific, like the userid. This of course only works if the list of logos is constant (but then, so does any stored order).

Of course, I don't see the point of doing that, either.
Ah, that certainly is easier. I forgot you could set a seed for rand(). Anyways... this is starting to get a little off topic. >_>

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 pm

"AnimeMusicVideos.org. - We learned howto use envelope distort today (:"
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Return to “Site Announcements”