May 15th.

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed May 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Of course I could just be an ass and point the op to an Econ 101 class.
ImageImageImageImage

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:25 pm

I rarely drive, so this works well for me ...though it's not really boycotting as i do that everyday :/ .

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: May 15th.

Post by Scintilla » Wed May 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:If you own a car, Do NOT gas up on the ides of May. Why? Well, I figured I might as well try to spread the word about the whole thing with the gas. I don't like the way gas prices look, personally, so I'm saying we should all do something about it.
Who's to say that we aren't already? One day of boycotting is not going to significantly reduce demand. If it really gets that bad, I'm confident that we as a nation will manage to cut back on our consumption, just like we did in the 70s -- but it won't be an overnight thing. It takes people some time to get used to the little things they can do to conserve fuel, but if forced to, they will do it.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

oldwrench
Org Profile

Post by oldwrench » Wed May 02, 2007 11:27 pm

Not buying gasoline for a day would make no difference in overall consumption. If everyone refused to drive for a day, it would. That is not possible though. If everyone would give up their super monster gas guzzler trucks and suv's we could have more than enough fuel and prices would fall. I just had to take a trip to Minneapolis to the airport today, more than half the vehicles on the hiway were truck, van, or suv. Most of them with one person in them. Most truck and suv's et less than half the fuel milage of my Buick. Even the so called crossover vehicles, get more than 30% poorer fuel economy than a comparable car. I eally dont pity the guy that pulls up to the pump and puts over 100 bucks of gas in his overbloated road monster. This is the only country in the world that idiots drive these gas hogs for daily transportation.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu May 03, 2007 12:15 am

somebody on the internet told me not to buy gas, so i won't. thank you internets.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu May 03, 2007 12:19 am

Dont worry about it, this gas crap wont last much longer. People are getting more and more frustrated... Eventually this will happen or something close to it:

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/ <3 Honda.

I only pray that it will happen sooner then later. Water is our most abundant resource, it just makes sense to use it.

Then they will start taxing us on water. Which is sad.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Inaaca
Org Profile

Post by Inaaca » Thu May 03, 2007 12:54 am

Too many people focus too much on the tiny problems instead of the big picture. Gas prices are going up because the demand is going up and the supply is running out. The focus should be on a shift to alternate methods, not on the "price at the pump." Eventually, gas won't even be viable anymore, and we need something else before then. Either that, or we all revert to bicycles.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu May 03, 2007 11:28 am

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

America seems to have a fixation that gas consumption = crude oil consumption but there is a much larger picture of gas + plastics + lubricants + polyester + some medications + et cetera, et cetera = crude oil consumption...

Gas is certainly a major product, but there is a lot more to consider.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:46 am

Eva-Fan wrote:Dont worry about it, this gas crap wont last much longer. People are getting more and more frustrated... Eventually this will happen or something close to it:

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/ <3 Honda.

I only pray that it will happen sooner then later. Water is our most abundant resource, it just makes sense to use it.

Then they will start taxing us on water. Which is sad.
There is a huge problem with hydrogen fuel cells. They actually have a far higher cost to the environment then the emmissions the cars themselves emmit.

When converting energy waste is always produced. the Internal combustion engine is one of the most direct ways of converting gas to motion.

When looking at Hydrogen, sure there are no emissions from the car itself but in order to produce hydrogen, a massive amount of electricity must be generated. Thus crating waste. The pollution the extra coal fired or nuclear powerplants will produce, in addition to the containment and transport of it creates more problems then it will solve.

Now anyone that knows me will tell you I hate SUVs as much as anything could.

But something that will help pollution far more is a reduction in eating meat. If people simply had less beef everyweek the Pollution reduction is Immense.

Something seemingly alot more controversial and harder for many people than not driving.

Esrhan
Org Profile

Post by Esrhan » Thu May 03, 2007 12:45 pm

We're doomed!

Return to “General Discussion”