The Undercover MEP [closed]

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:23 am

Prodigi wrote:UUUUUUUUUUUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:05 am

Fire_Starter1982 wrote:A few issues I see with the technical aspects.
1) Framerate- 29.97
3) HIGH QUALITY FOOTAGE ONLY!!!!!!
4) De- interlace your final and betas plz
Quite simply, these three do not mix. If you de-interlace without decimating the framerate to 23.98 (i.e. film), you will not get the requirements for item #3. This is because decimating actually REMOVES the interlaced frames, while just de-interlacing either blends frames together (ghosting) or drops the resolution on the interlaced frames and upscales them back to match the rest (artifacting).
If you don't have clue, just shut up.
1.) IVTCed NTSC has a framerate of 23.976 fps. The most editing systems can't handle that, working with 23.98 would cause synching issues.
2.) Decimating doesn't remove the (de-)interlaced frames. It removes either the frames that are most similar to its neighbours or one from the longest run of the same frames, depending on the parameters.
3.) Inverse telecine of properly telecined material doesn't deinterlace in usual sense. In interlaced frames one (afaik the dominating) field is combined with the matching field from a neighboring frame to make it progressive.
4.) There exist much more ways to create progressive frames from interlaced frames than you describe. You describe the 2 worst.
5.) IVTC makes sense for cinema movies. TV-shows and OVA's often have parts in it with real 29.97 fps, so it's better to stick with that speed.

And while your claims about uncompressed files being too large and that better lossless compressed should be used are o.k., what you say about the speed of hard drives is wrong. Even slower models (if not too old) can feed an average data rate of 40MByte/s, what is enough. HuffYUV or Lagarith are more problematic for real time feeding because they need much processing power for decoding.

Edit:
@NerdStrudel
I did notice you have removed the technical guidelines. IIRC they were ok, except the uncompressed files.
Last edited by Keeper of Hellfire on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:09 am

Prodigi wrote:
Prodigi wrote:UUUUUUUUUUUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:53 am

@keeper ok, but what should I change the setting for for final tracks?. I'm new to this so don't know. I put loseless HuffyUV just now. but yah

@prodigi

If you don't stop i'll get a mod in here

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 am

lulz
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:30 am

You're the coordinator, so choose for the finals what you can deal with. If you can deal with HuffYUV and Lagarith, allow both. Because of the smaller filesize Lagarith is preferable, but it seems like not all editing programs can handle it properly, so it's better if the editors can choose.

Two more points you should add to the specs. Since you say 720x480, specify if it's 4:3 or 16:9 (640x480 or 848x480 would make it obvious, but so it isn't). And tell how should be dealt with footage that doesn't fit - letterboxing or pan and scan (or what else is possible).

I'd be interested to join too, but in the moment I have no idea about song/anime. Do you have any plan how long you'll keep it open for joining?

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:31 am

There is no deadline so you can join at any time. Hell you could join a day before finals are due if you would be able to produce something.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:38 am

il n'est pas possible que je vous joigne, je ne peut pas adapter huit images dans ma signature et I, AM assez non bon pour toi juste comme Prodigi
new banzors in the making :p

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:42 am

Que?

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 am

lol@unqualified MEP "leader"
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”