The 2007 Logo Contest has begun!

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 am

DriftRoot wrote:
kikai_saigono wrote: I'm not that good at thinking ahead like that. :/ For some reason, I was only submitting stuff that looked 'cool'. Besides, I know that I for one and a lot of other people don't even use the text under the logo as much as just make their own text somewhere else on the banner....That's what I do most of the time, becase the text already on the banner sometimes just doesn't fit in there well.
No offense, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine. If a logo has text in it, it's part of the logo - you're not supposed to rip part of the logo out because it isn't playing nice with whatever design you've got in mind, it should be the other way around, actually.
I see so many banners that have the current logo splattered in pieces parts all over the place and it drives me nuts. If someone did that to one of MY logos, I would be rather annoyed - there I went, making a logo that fit those words, probably taking great pains to incorporate them into the design somehow, and people decide they don't like it and are just going to mess with it as they please. :x If the words don't fit, don't put them in the logo to begin with!

/end rant
Yeah, I hate it when people cut up anime and slap music on it too. What kind of person does that?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:59 am

DriftRoot wrote:
No offense, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine. If a logo has text in it, it's part of the logo - you're not supposed to rip part of the logo out because it isn't playing nice with whatever design you've got in mind, it should be the other way around, actually.
I see so many banners that have the current logo splattered in pieces parts all over the place and it drives me nuts. If someone did that to one of MY logos, I would be rather annoyed - there I went, making a logo that fit those words, probably taking great pains to incorporate them into the design somehow, and people decide they don't like it and are just going to mess with it as they please. :x If the words don't fit, don't put them in the logo to begin with!

/end rant
I've done plenty of banners to know that the text that was part of this logo was a bitch to work with, and sometimes it was just easier to read with new text somewhere else on the logo. I wouldn't care if someone did it to my logo, because I understand. :/ If that sort of thing peeves you that bad then I don't know what to tell you. :|
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:22 pm

I've been approving logos that have very small text. The text will have to be removed if placed in a banner, but if someone were to blow up the logo and place it on a T-Shirt, it would look fine imo. I'll leave it up to you. That is my stance on it but I'm only one voter out of many so think of your target audience as well when designing these things.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:16 am

If there's text in the logo, it's part of the logo - there's logos out there without text that sometimes have text added, that's not what I'm talking about. The logo is one big whole image, so deciding to snip out parts just because you don't like them is pretty poor. I'd like to see someone remove the dot on the iPod logo and then justify this by complaining it was coming out too small to see anyways. Then again, as was quipped about slicing up anime and setting it to messed-with music, we're not dealing with a crowd of hardcore purists 'round here with steel-clad respect for other people's artistic efforts, now are we? I guess some logo defamation is to be expected.

Hrmm, to psychoanalyze the situation, my annoyance is probably rooted in harsh lessons my sister and I received about NEVER touching (i.e. scribbling on out of spite) each other's kindergarten drawings - she did it once and I don't remember what the punishment was, but it never happened again.
Corran wrote:I've been approving logos that have very small text. The text will have to be removed if placed in a banner, but if someone were to blow up the logo and place it on a T-Shirt, it would look fine imo. I'll leave it up to you.
So wait, if a logo gets picked that needs alteration to work for the site, you'll have it tweaked after the fact??? In the past I haven't voted for logos that have too-small text...even if they were good concepts... :(

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 pm

DriftRoot wrote:So wait, if a logo gets picked that needs alteration to work for the site, you'll have it tweaked after the fact??? In the past I haven't voted for logos that have too-small text...even if they were good concepts... :(
Banner Ad Contest Rules wrote:The phrase "AnimeMusicVideos.org" must be present and readable somewhere on the banner.
Note it doesn't say that text must be in the logo. The rules later go on to clarify:
The phrase on the logo may be rendered illegible or removed from the logo itself if the phrase is present and readable elsewhere on the banner.
Depending on the logo this particular clarification of the rule may need to change from year to year. If a logo primarily consists of the just the phrase "AnimeMusicVideos.org" with some minor decorations around it, then removing the phrase would significantly alter the logo and would not be acceptable. If the logo text is too small on logos where the phase is this important, I'll try to work with the submitter to alter the logo. That is, if there is enough time to do so prior to the deadline. Otherwise, I might simply reject it.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Hrm, so...my fussing about people stripping the "animemusicvideos.org" out of the current logo is completely unwarranted (and I guess why it's allowed, because you don't consider that text part of the logo anyways. Gotcha. :wink: This is a different definition of a logo than what I was working from. :)

zamora
Org Profile

Design and Using the Logo

Post by zamora » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:17 am

Maybe I am out of context but. I think...when you use the logo in banner and other stuffs you don't have to put the www..... the complete logotype have advertisement aims. You can made the logo with or without the www.... Thats what I think. And one more time, sorry if I am out of context but I just made a quick read of all :idea: :arrow:
ALWAYS got the Plan B

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 pm

No, you don't HAVE to include the site name, but if you choose to and submit it as your logo - according to my way of thinking - it becomes part of the logo, not just some unnecessary text crammed in there for the sake of cramming it in there. (Some people do this, though, which is maybe why they consider that text disposable). IMO, if the words don't work, then don't put them in there to begin with.

Corran consider the site name in the logo an optional component, however, one that can be removed if it's too small to suit its purpose. This is actually beneficial, as I was trying to say, because I've seen some logos in the past that were really nicely done except for the fact that the text wound up being so itty bitty that there was no way the logo - as a whole - would work and I felt obligated to vote for a logo that DID work, instead. I really don't remember if - in the voting guidelines - it was mentioned that small text shouldn't be a factor in our decisions. :? I'm keeping it in mind, this year.

wurpess
rabid fangirl
Org Profile

Post by wurpess » Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Um, so I submitted a couple logos, then I accidentally hit refresh, and it resubmitted the logo I had just submitted. Um, just thought I'd let you know, I didn't mean to submit a duplicate. That wasn't supposed to happen. :?
ImageImage

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed May 02, 2007 12:03 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen a logo that looks like this with the exact same set of bars for... I want to say Last FM, but I don't think that's it.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Return to “Site Announcements”