The 2007 Logo Contest has begun!

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Five uploaded, x more to go! It will be interesting to see if last year's semi dry spell of fantastic logos will become reversed in retaliation this year. (I just remember looking over all the submissions last year and thinking "Do I HAVE to pick one of these?")

kisusu
Org Profile

Post by kisusu » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:07 pm

almost every entry i do seems to submit twice :s
is it because i'm reloading the site sometimes or something? :s
it's kinda irritating :p

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:36 pm

because you hit the back button
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:12 am

Question: That warning at the very bottom of the entry submissions page that references no 3D artwork - is this a narrow definition of 3D? Like, don't create a logo in a 3D program (or with "real" 3D wire frame structure in whatever program)?

I ask because one of the logos I'm working on is kind of hyper-realistic in that it's not technically 3D, but it's not flat, either. If it was going to be plastered on something that could not reproduce it perfectly (i.e. t-shirt - since when are there a-m-v.org t-shirts, anyways??), however, it COULD be altered to accommodate a flatter (even b&w) design without making unrecognizable. IMO, if there's a non-3D logo that needs alteration to be more all-media friendly down the road, the original designer shouldn't have an issue accommodating that. I know I don't.

Please don't say "upload your logo and find out" because I would like to know now if a non-3D logo that has some heavy shading and gradations is not acceptable than when I've put more even hours into this thing. If you do say that, well, I hope my submitting two versions - one the original and one a very flat alternative, will be OK - yes they'd be exactly the same design-wise, but if one's OK and one's not, well...that's the only way I can see to find out without losing the chance to submit that logo completely.

Thanks! :D

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:57 pm

I'm not sure why Phade made that statement but I imagine it was for a good reason. I'd suggest exporting the 3d render and making final touches within an image editing app if applicable. Just don't submit a file that can only be opened in a 3d editing program please.

Perhaps you could make both versions you mentioned and put them in the same zip. That way if the design wins and we have issues incorporating it, we could fall back to the other one. I suggest using the flattened one for the jpg/gif portion of the submission though.

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:54 pm

I have a quick question (just in case I have to do this in the future):

If we submitted a logo, but it gets rejected because of resizing issues (like, say if the font I used would not do well when resized) could we resubmit the logo with a different font for the 'animemusicvideos.org' part of the logo, or would it be rejected for being counted as an entry that is too similar to the earlier rejected entry?
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:31 pm

Isn't it easier to just look at your logo and see if it's readable before submitting?
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Corran wrote:I'm not sure why Phade made that statement but I imagine it was for a good reason. I'd suggest exporting the 3d render and making final touches within an image editing app if applicable. Just don't submit a file that can only be opened in a 3d editing program please.
No no, I'm not doing ANY 3D renders whatsoever - I just wasn't sure if "no 3D logos" meant no 3D software or no logos that had any 3D appearance whatsoever. A good example of the latter would be the Apple logos/icons/buttons you see everywhere with that reflection effect people love to copy - that's not 3D, but it's not flat like the current a-m-v.org logo is and would definately be hard to reproduce on certain types of media. :) (Don't worry, I'm not copying Apple anyways.)
kikai_saigono wrote:If we submitted a logo, but it gets rejected because of resizing issues (like, say if the font I used would not do well when resized) could we resubmit the logo with a different font for the 'animemusicvideos.org' part of the logo, or would it be rejected for being counted as an entry that is too similar to the earlier rejected entry?
If it's so small at it's"real" a-m-v.org size that you can't read it , then you probably should be increasing the font size, not hoping that the logo winds up on a billboard with letters that are 3' tall. Don't make giant logo and never see what happens when it gets resized for the Web because the latter is what everyone will be looking at when it comes times to pick their favorites. :wink:

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Gepetto wrote:Isn't it easier to just look at your logo and see if it's readable before submitting?
I'm not that good at thinking ahead like that. :/ For some reason, I was only submitting stuff that looked 'cool'. Besides, I know that I for one and a lot of other people don't even use the text under the logo as much as just make their own text somewhere else on the banner....That's what I do most of the time, becase the text already on the banner sometimes just doesn't fit in there well.
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 am

kikai_saigono wrote: I'm not that good at thinking ahead like that. :/ For some reason, I was only submitting stuff that looked 'cool'. Besides, I know that I for one and a lot of other people don't even use the text under the logo as much as just make their own text somewhere else on the banner....That's what I do most of the time, becase the text already on the banner sometimes just doesn't fit in there well.
No offense, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine. If a logo has text in it, it's part of the logo - you're not supposed to rip part of the logo out because it isn't playing nice with whatever design you've got in mind, it should be the other way around, actually.
I see so many banners that have the current logo splattered in pieces parts all over the place and it drives me nuts. If someone did that to one of MY logos, I would be rather annoyed - there I went, making a logo that fit those words, probably taking great pains to incorporate them into the design somehow, and people decide they don't like it and are just going to mess with it as they please. :x If the words don't fit, don't put them in the logo to begin with!

/end rant

Return to “Site Announcements”