Dreams

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Dreams

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 am

Oh, a new thread. ;p Thanks/blame to Oto.

Do you have strange dreams? Do you have recurring dreams? Looking for an interpretation on a dream? Let's here some stories.

I tend to dream in stories. I rarely participate in my dreams. I watch them like I would a movie. Even when I'm actually in the dream I'm not "me" and I'm still viewing it from a high spot like a birdseye camera lens. I'm almost always a guy in my dreams, usually the leader of a military group giving orders. I don't have causal 'every day reality' dreams. The closest I've had was a short snippet dream where I was having lunch (coffee and cakes) at a small white table in the middle of a grassy lawn (or a park) and talking to an anime character about his boyfriend. I was giving him advice. He could have been any female in my family, so it's more "realistic" than it sounds.

I have a recurring dream about a flood where I'm with a group of people and we have to climb onto the edge of a bathtub to reach a window that will let us get up onto the roof. There's a woman in the tub who committed suicide. She's been there for a while, probably since the rains started. We make it to the roof and the view is beautiful (in an end of the world savage flood way). Then I wake up. I've had it 7 times over the years that I remember. I stopped having it a few years ago.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:56 am

okay seriously i wanna know where the Sadamm Hussein making CCS videos to punk music comes from... O.o that just weirded me out for like 3 days O.o

(and he said he did it cause he was punk and he wanted to O.o)

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:06 am

JaddziaDax wrote:(and he said he did it cause he was punk and he wanted to O.o)
Were you in the dream watching him, or were you him? If you were watching, it could be about someone you know who does strange things (whether it's an actual editor here or a real life acquaintance). He could even have represented a view of yourself that you aren't aware you have - subconscious message.

Or maybe you read/heard/saw something that made you think of Hitler, and you were editing or thinking about amvs lately - so the two topics got merged in a really screwy way. But that's not as much fun as you viewing yourself as a CCS-punk loving Hitler. :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:26 am

Recurring dreams are an idea I'm terrified of. I would probably not believe in them if I didn't have one myself, and it honestly scares me to even think about it (it's not the dream itself, but the uh... gut feeling associated with it). I first saw it when I was about 11, and it repeated twice in the next two years. I haven't seen it since as far as I can remember, but I don't think I need to. The first time I saw it was after a long visit to a cemetery (same one I visited in this part of my Russia trip), which determined the location. I couldn't fall asleep for half the night, and when I did fall asleep, I saw that dream. And then couldn't fall asleep again until morning.

The dream goes like this:
I'm standing on the eastern side of the railroad track near Pargolovo station near St. Petersburg (the exact location shown here in this photo I took while in Russia). For some reason, across the tracks (where in real life there is bush and farm fields), there is a beautiful garden with a Roman-styled... gazebo thingy, elaborate benches and swings, and a marble fountain with a statue in the middle. There are people, mostly women in classical dresses, sitting on the benches and talking, and next to the fountain there are children playing. From the south (far side of the picture), I see/hear a train approaching in the distance. I start yelling something, but there's no reaction (and I don't hear my own voice nor know what I'm yelling). I start walking across the tracks, but fall right over them and suddenly realize I can't get up, as though I'm paralyzed. I continue yelling something to them, but there's no response. The huge freight train gets nearer and nearer, and I still can't get up, and noone is reacting. I'm not looking at the train, but continue yelling as it runs over me. I suddenly lose all feeling and remain on the tracks as it runs over me, all I hear is the massive noise from the train, and through it's wheels rushing past, I see a little girl in a white dress skipping rope, skipping rope, skipping rope... absolutely no reaction from the garden in general.
And it fades to this red-ish color. And I wake up.

Not sure what to make of that, but I can say that I saw that in 3 times and it was rather exact.

Otherwise, dream patterns to note:

1) I dream in cycles. Sometimes I have no dreams at all for weeks and even months, and then have a long period of very rich, vivid dreams. On a number of occasions I have sequences of cohesive dreams (i.e. sequels), most often 3 but sometimes even more.

2) I often dream about specific people; sometimes people I know well and sometimes people who get in there completely at random (example: singer Jason Mraz, whom I only know via a few songs that Jasper showed me during an AMV brainstorming session months before - was a prominent character in a recent dream of mine, despite the fact that I didn't even know what he looked like). My catchy memory ensures the strangest associations there, yea.
Also, people often perform completely random actions in my dreams that in no way relate to their personality. Including killing themselves in stupid ways.

3) I often dream about specific people in cycles. There was a two-week period last december when I had a set of non-sequential dreams about a girl whom I haven't seen for 8 years.

3) I rarely kill people in my dreams. I also rarely dream about dreams relating to sex, and when I do I always wake up too soon (strangely, the 'good part' always starts when I have to get up, anyway :| ). I never have dreams about sex relating to specific people, unless in third person.

4) I fly in my dreams very often. My flying technique is always and invariably the same as breast-stroke swimming.

5) I rarely have nightmares as such. Most of my bad/scary dreams are just depressing situations, not shock and horror.

6) I occasionally have completely abstract dreams that consists of colors and shapes. I even have dreams which consist of physical sensations, mostly unpleasant (most common - falling).

7) Besides the obvious fears of trains and falling, I also have a fear of deep water in my dreams (water, in my version, is always ultra-transparent, and when it's very deep it causes vertigo), and a fear of owls (my first dream I remember, from around age 2, featured a massive 2-meter owl with eyes the size of my head. It didn't do anything, but it sure f'n scared me). Any time these show up in my dreams, I expect trouble.

8) Oh, and maybe that's a bit external - but I roll around in my sleep. Constantly and furiously. When I slept in a top bunk with a wooden (but still supposedly strong) railing, I literally rolled around so much I broke through it and fell - waking up on the floor feeling slightly confused and just crawling right back in like nothing happened :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:42 am

Oh, and when something funny happens in my dreams, I quite literally LOL
Unfortunately I don't remember what the funny thing was most of the time when I wake up. I actually woke up laughing like crazy this morning, but now whatever made me laugh is a mystery.

When I was 10 or so, there was something I laughed so hard at that I pissed myself, and continued rolling in laughter even after I woke up... all at 4am :lol:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:53 am

I have a recurring dream subject. Demon dogs. My last one, I was at this manor place with a bunch of friends, and there's a sound at the door. Everybody else is occupied, so I go out into the entry way and open one of the double, wide, thick wooden doors, and there's this black dog, hmmm, since I hardly know anything about dogs, I'd say golden retriever size, maybe a little bigger, with in absolutely no ambigious terms, human sky blue eyes. My friends (what friends, hah!) hear the door open and they come into the entry way to see what's going on, and this dog jumps at me, his front paws on my torso and looks at me, at which point his eyes roll back into his head like dislodged marbles. Nobody notices, and they start laughing because this dog just scared the fuck out of me for no apparant reason.

A blank time, then another dream in the same theme, this time I'm walking down a densely wooded, pine, slope and suddenly from behind a tree emerges this skeletal chihuaha like dog with golden menacing eyes.

Not really sure why, but the dogs are always demonic in my dreams, and not like some horror film, they're pretty realistic. After I wake up, I realize there's a cloudy haze... around the edges, but the image itself is surreal.

The other part of the recurring dream would be this house. Maybe this belongs in things you don't know, but till I was about 6 or so, I lived in this HUGE house. Enormous rooms, one square upstairs room, which served as a sort of family room, was probably, even permitting the distortion of childhood, 30' by 30' or perhaps even 35'(feet). 6 Bedrooms, all probably 20 ft in at least one dimension. Large, if narrow kitchen, dining room, a downstairs living room, a... parlor? and a entry way. The front doors themselves were huge, kinda like the doors of the dream manor, they must have been at least 8ft tall, probably more. Even the tallest of those who came through them never got close to the top. Not only were they huge, instead of some sort of latch or deadbolt or something, we had a long thick plank, wooden pillar, whatever you want to call it, and a set of... uh... not hooks, but I can't come up with the term for what the plank slid in and out of of, or could be lifted from.

Concerning the outside, the backyard I'm convinced could fit a row of 3 small-moderate sized homes, all wooded and pretty fun to play in. The front yard I don't remember so well, again a large wooded thicket, followed by a huge field of some tall always brown and dried out grass. Close to my height at that age, couldn't really give a accurate height measurement though.

This place seems to figure often into my dreams, or a warp of it anyhow. I hope this doesn't come out as bragging, it's intention is just to set a background idea for more bizarre dreams if I post them, a House of Leaves like one, and another one that was like a take on LotR, or if anyone's actually interested enough to want to hear about Orwells home as a child. As far as exact recurring dreams go, there is one, but it leaves me sleepless for two days, so I don't like to remember it and therefore don't, I'm sure Oto can attest to my ability to forget things.

Also, Oto, do you have many lucid dreams, or is the flying still in a deeper dream state? Lucid dreaming on wiki for those who don't know what it is.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:55 am

Arigatomina wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:(and he said he did it cause he was punk and he wanted to O.o)
Were you in the dream watching him, or were you him? If you were watching, it could be about someone you know who does strange things (whether it's an actual editor here or a real life acquaintance). He could even have represented a view of yourself that you aren't aware you have - subconscious message.

Or maybe you read/heard/saw something that made you think of Hitler, and you were editing or thinking about amvs lately - so the two topics got merged in a really screwy way. But that's not as much fun as you viewing yourself as a CCS-punk loving Hitler. :P
naw i was talking to him like about AMVs and stuff and i think he might have been wearing pink... i dont remember but i get the sense he was... (CCS always makes me think of pink anyways)

the "punk" thing reminds me of one of my friend's friends (as in this group of friends she tries to hang out with) @_@ but i dont see them as an "evil dictator" (Saddam Hussein, not Hitler O.o though I bet Hitler would have been just as weird)

@_@

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 am

Otohiko wrote:Not sure what to make of that, but I can say that I saw that in 3 times and it was rather exact.
I don't think you should interpret recurring dreams. Just the fact that they don't change makes them different from your random 'symbolism' dreams.

But you know, if I went by the book I'd say your age at the time explains it all. The cemetary before hand got you thinking about death/failure. The garden is a mother figure/paradise you want to reach. The children are you, how you want to be. They can't hear you because you're separated by the tracks, the barrier you have to cross. You don't hear your own voice because you can't speak up, like tripping and the paralysis, it's your own doubts and fears holding you back. And the end is a feeling that no one even notices that you're not with them, let alone try to help you get there before the train (failure, death) gets you.

All that would work if it were a random one-time dream. You could have rolled and pinched a nerve in your sleep - that's what usually causes paralysis and pain in dreams, that sensation that you're close enough to waking up to feel, but still trapped in the dream. It all falls apart when you have the dream the exact same way multiple times.
3) I rarely kill people in my dreams. I also rarely dream about dreams relating to sex, and when I do I always wake up too soon (strangely, the 'good part' always starts when I have to get up, anyway :| ). I never have dreams about sex relating to specific people, unless in third person.
I watch other people kill people in my dreams. ^^; I had one where my brother killed his best friend in the backyard and I was watching through the bedroom window, he bashed his skull in, it was all messy and gross. I *try* to kill people in my dreams since I'm usually in a military group, but I usually find myself with defective weapons at the last second, or being distracted giving orders so I don't actually have any targets of my own to take out. I think it comes from a feeling of having power that's not being utilized. It's not like I'd mind getting my hands dirty. Sex dreams... Eheh. I've had one. That's it. One. I was a teenager. It was with a movie monster. I won't say which one. First last and only. :lol: And the worst part is, it wasn't a scary dream at all.
4) I fly in my dreams very often. My flying technique is always and invariably the same as breast-stroke swimming.
I used to fall when I was little. I'd jump off roofs so I could have that "falling" sensation. Once I was in the air I'd slow myself down so I floated softly to the ground. I miss those dreams. They turned into flying dreams eventually, usually with a belt or some technology I made that let me fly. Once I could fly, I didn't bother to jump off buildings and float anymore. But I think the sensations felt better when I was floating to the ground than they ever did when I was flying with my own scifi gadgets.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 am

Last dream I remember was a teenager and on waking I thought it'd make one cool story. Even after being awake awhile the dream still made perfect sense instead of the usual 'WTF' factor most dreams have. It was a combination Victorian horror/Clue mystery. What annoys me is that I woke up before it ended and any attempt while awake to finish the story satisfactorily has failed. Which is part of why I remember this dream even after like a decade and a half.

Other than that I don't remember my dreams. I do know if I wake up from a dream I tend to lie there, awake, and finish whatever story got interrupted. Later I'll remember finishing the dream awake but I never remember what the actual dream was. I guess I learned to finish it from that one dream years ago and once it's satisfactorily done it slips out of my mind.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:13 am

JaddziaDax wrote:the "punk" thing reminds me of one of my friend's friends (as in this group of friends she tries to hang out with) @_@ but i dont see them as an "evil dictator" (Saddam Hussein, not Hitler O.o though I bet Hitler would have been just as weird)
Ack. That was my own fruedian slip - I've been watching Schindler's List. :lol:

Saddam. I don't think of him as being a very good 'evil dictator'. He's more like an icon. I guess it would depend on how you picture him. If I had a dream about him, I'd think it was something to do with a poser, someone other people tell me is important, but who I think is a little man being used as a figurehead with no real power of his own. In that case, I'd say you were taking this 'friend of a friend' and putting them into a context you can relate to (amv making) and then feeling amused/distanced by the 'rebel' with his pink ccs punk self. It's ridiculous, but it does remove the power from the character villain to put him in a role like that.

Still sounds more like a weird mix of two topics you'd been thinking about lately. ;p Most dreams are just the brain's way of keeping you entertained so you stay asleep long enough for the body to recharge itself.

Return to “General Discussion”