New feature: AMV Alerts

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:20 pm

quadir wrote:
godix wrote:So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again?
I don't understand.
Preemptive strike before you even start.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:30 pm

Knowname wrote:So for this latest 'bit of synthetic euphoria' I say 'I already download everybody's video, what the heck am I gonna use it for??' All it will do is make it so rather than extinguishing random ops we extinguish random downloads as well!! Cuz after all, why even check the announcement threads when we've got all our friends tagged anyway.
Why I don't see that becoming a problem:
  1. Most of the community does not use the forum in the first place.
  2. People new here will need some reason to add people to alerts and they are not going to just do that randomly without downloading videos and finding people they think are worth watching.
  3. Non-donators will not be able to watch nearly as many people once the system is finished going through the testing stages.
  4. I've been playing with the system for a few weeks now in early beta but I still browse the announcement forum frequently. I've actually downloaded some videos before my RSS client said it was available on some occasions.
quadir wrote:I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 <quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!
Remember, that number only indicates how many are watching for messages from you, not how many are watching for a new video. :P

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Remember, that number only indicates how many are watching for messages from you, not how many are watching for a new video.
I still don't understand what "messages" are?

Maybe I'm just stupid.

And anyway, when I went to my edit alerts page, I saw one person was already watching me. And since someone else posted they were being watched... Does this mean DokiDoki is the new Tom?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm

SQ wrote:I still don't understand what "messages" are?
They are kind of like a broadcast message to the people with that specific alert enabled. I suppose they are comparable to the journal buddy page except they are sent out via email and rss as well. If people start using alert messages like journal system is used I will probably turn off that alert type in my edit page. : /

Does this mean DokiDoki is the new Tom?
No one is automatically added to a user's alerts. Someone had to of added you manually.

(I can't even imagine how annoying that would be to have 600000+ users on an alert page.)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Knowname wrote:Ya know let me get my word of doomsayer in: I can see this further spuring on the malcontent that is ruining the org.
Knowname wrote:Then there's the other malcontent. First we get the op exchange forum. Good idea! ... but there went random ops. Variety is the spice of life people! Sure the recomendations forum does a decent job to overcome that, but. It's almost to the point where the USED-TO-BE common line, 'your opinions are appreciated' that USED to be found in every announced video has become largely UN-common. Cuz ppl know that nobodys gonna op your vids unless you do an op exchange or otherwise pimp it all to hell.
What are you talking about? I get random opinions all the time.

(Disclaimer: I released no new videos in 2006.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:31 pm

Corran wrote:
SQ wrote:I still don't understand what "messages" are?
They are kind of like a broadcast message to the people with that specific alert enabled. I suppose they are comparable to the journal buddy page except they are sent out via email and rss as well. If people start using alert messages like journal system is used I will probably turn off that alert type in my edit page. : /
So wait a second..

If we create a "msg" through the alert page, that will automatically send a message to EVERYONE watching you?

THAT IS SO AWESOME.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:11 pm

SQ wrote:If we create a "msg" through the alert page, that will automatically send a message to EVERYONE watching you?
Everyone who had agreed to get your alerts at least. Personally I plan on waiting till I get about a dozen people watching me then I'm gonna see exactly how offensive I have to be to get them all to stop watching me. Cause you gotta have goals in life ya know.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Orwell wrote:When do we celebrate Doki day?
Every fucking day of the year.

and every non-fucking day too if anyone (godix) has a problem with my language u_u

On the day Doki sleeps, the seas will dry and the deserts will drench. He is the Pillar, the Balance and the Force. Amen.

But this makes a few other features less useful than they were before.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 pm

Scintilla wrote:What are you talking about? I get random opinions all the time.
I'm talking about the not terribly awesome editors that seem to live their lives on this stuff. If you weren't around in 2001-2003 you just don't know. What happened to the days when the little guys had a chance?? c'mon guys this is a hobby not a job. But anyway... yes, that may or may not be you, I'm not speaking for you, I'm speaking to the general public. Maybe I AM malcontent (apparently), but I'm just saying all is not euphoria around here. We don't need to become a big fish in a small pond.

Dark Confusion
Org Profile

Post by Dark Confusion » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 am

Interesting feature!

Now onto the stalking of innocents... 8-)

Return to “Site Announcements”