FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! - Read This First

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
sweetdeily
Org Profile

Re: ummmmmmmmmm

Post by sweetdeily » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Talonguard23 wrote:then what codec should we use?
Huffyuv is the codec you should /ideally/ be using in this program. Lagarith doesn't work properly on most days in WMM. Sometimes Xvid/DivX does work but depending on the phase of the moon it varies -_-;
All in all though, you should be using huffyuv as it is a lossless codec i.e. better image quality is preserved.
If you Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> it will show you how to encode in huffyuv. It might be a little hard to understand at first, but after doing it a few times it gets easier. ^.^

I hope that's what you were after. ^^
ImageImage
Lockstock: " i gots the power!"
Sweetdeily: "you know he-man was a gay icon, right?"
*SILENCE*

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Excuse, but why shouldn't I use Xvid/Divx files? I've successfully made 5 AMVs with them(not on here at the moment) and the only reason I can see why not to use them is the watermark which can easily be taken out.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:24 pm

because the codec is buggy and sometimes will just stop working out of the blue

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Weird. Under what video format because when I rip mine, I use AVI.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Kumatora wrote:Excuse, but why shouldn't I use Xvid/Divx files? I've successfully made 5 AMVs with them(not on here at the moment) and the only reason I can see why not to use them is the watermark which can easily be taken out.
- They use temporal (inter-frame) compression, which requires that the editor process not just the frame requested but all the frames to which it refers... this isn't good for stability or frame accuracy
- They've already been through a round of significant compression from their original source (be it a DVD or a captured TV broadcast), which means that your finished distro file is going to look significantly worse than if you'd used DVD footage straight (or compressed with a lossless codec such as HuffYUV)

I'd be able to give you a whole page on it, except that amvwiki.org is kind of gone.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Kumatora wrote:Excuse, but why shouldn't I use Xvid/Divx files? I've successfully made 5 AMVs with them(not on here at the moment) and the only reason I can see why not to use them is the watermark which can easily be taken out.
- They use temporal (inter-frame) compression, which requires that the editor process not just the frame requested but all the frames to which it refers... this isn't good for stability or frame accuracy
- They've already been through a round of significant compression from their original source (be it a DVD or a captured TV broadcast), which means that your finished distro file is going to look significantly worse than if you'd used DVD footage straight (or compressed with a lossless codec such as HuffYUV)

I'd be able to give you a whole page on it, except that amvwiki.org is kind of gone.
google to the rescue :) get it while you can

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 pm

AWESOME. And I thought we were screwed after archive.org didn't have that page. :P

Okay, so, everyone who likes to post my and other flashing banners might want to start having them link <a href="http://www.aquilinestudios.org/DivX_Edi ... l">here</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:21 pm

thanks scintilla :)

Kumatora
Org Profile

Post by Kumatora » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Scintilla wrote:

O RLY? I can see a little quality decline but nothing major. Mostly, it's just slightly darker. Also, does this only apply to DIVX MPEG-4?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Kumatora wrote: O RLY? I can see a little quality decline but nothing major.
"Nothing major" is a very relative term.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”