New feature: AMV Alerts

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:42 pm

godix wrote:Out of idle curiosity, do you have any way to tell when someone does a google search on you?
Well, if they click a link to your page and you can view your server logs...
rubyeye wrote:Normally we can set to receive email alerts through our Forum Profile page when we get a new Private Message. So I'm wondering if this new function through the "ALERTS" settings will override that if we set it to something different? Does it matter if one or the other is turned off? Just curious to know if there might be a conflict.
There's no conflict. It was just relatively easy to add so I added it. I realise it may be pointless for some but others might like it.
godix wrote:I just wanna make sure I understand something here. The messages thing, that's brand new right? It seems to be, basically, a journal entry that only goes to people who have signed up for it. Is that basically what it is or am I not understanding it correctly?
Pretty much.
godix wrote:Which brings to mind a question, can you view old messages? Say I just added a member to my list and subscribed to receive their messages, can I go look at ones they sent before I subscribed or is it one of those once it's sent you can never see it again things?
You can see it as long as you have the link to it. But links aren't currently archived. (ie: to see ones before you subscribed)
Zarxrax wrote:The site menu on the edit alerts page seems broken.
Since the page is so wide, I put an abbreviated main menu at the top, at least for now. In that respect it's a little like the new Top 10%.
SarahtheBoring wrote:Neat. I probably won't use it much, because I don't know anyone here or make videos or anything, but it's a neat tool.
Who are you again? :?

I'm a bit tired so I'll reread the privacy/who's on my list posts again later.
And a few bugs have been found. I'll get to them.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Very neat feature, thanks for finally taking the time to code it out!

Although I must admit, I'm curious as to who actually cares enough to want to receive messages from me - does the system automatically add one or two to the overall number or what?

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:09 pm

One reason one might want to know who's receiving one's messages could be to know to whom one is speaking. That way it could be like mass private messages, which can be quite handy and time saving in certain instances.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:02 am

Score!

Now I can come on here even [iless[/i] and still say I'm active! :o

Thanks, Doki.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:07 am

Okay, now that I've actually played around with it, what are msgs and what are the points to them?

I mean, what happened to PMs?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 am

First of all I'd like to thank Dokidoki AGAIN, I think this is overall a GREAT idea, but...

Ya know let me get my word of doomsayer in: I can see this further spuring on the malcontent that is ruining the org. I mean it's bad enough that announcement threads are littered with cliques. it used to be (WAAAY back when now, even before local hosting) ANY announced vid with a link was worthy of a watch. Than came local hosting, a good idea, but to find GOOD announced vids it became a search for two page announcement threads, now three because of all the cliques. Studios are NOTORIOUS for traveling together, then there's simple groups of friends. You know that when a Journal Junkie posts a decent video, all the rest of the JJs will be there (including myself ^.^ so I'm not proposing a solution), if it's a European amver you can bet 80% of the thread will be europeans. I mean sure, it's cuz they headed it off at amvs.nl or whatever or maybe they're just friends! But c'mon ppl have some judgement...

Then there's the other malcontent. First we get the op exchange forum. Good idea! ... but there went random ops. Variety is the spice of life people! Sure the recomendations forum does a decent job to overcome that, but. It's almost to the point where the USED-TO-BE common line, 'your opinions are appreciated' that USED to be found in every announced video has become largely UN-common. Cuz ppl know that nobodys gonna op your vids unless you do an op exchange or otherwise pimp it all to hell. When did the org become Wall Street MAX?? I'd gotten ONE random op in close to FOUR YEARS, one op where I do not know the person.

And than we get to QCs. 'You've got flamers!!' I never liked this idea. Doesn't make much sense to me.

So for this latest 'bit of synthetic euphoria' I say 'I already download everybody's video, what the heck am I gonna use it for??' All it will do is make it so rather than extinguishing random ops we extinguish random downloads as well!! Cuz after all, why even check the announcement threads when we've got all our friends tagged anyway.

(btw you wanna help out? make it so these long posts don't time you out... freeking annoying. Long journals too.)

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am

I admit I didn't have the time to read the whole 4 pages but.. >_>
Great, I was hoping for a function like this one, great work and Thanks a Lot for your support. :D
ImageImage

quadir
I Know Drama
Org Profile

Post by quadir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:11 pm

I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 < quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:16 pm

quadir wrote:I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 <quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!
So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again? Cool! If only it were that easy to get ramonesfan to stop.

quadir
I Know Drama
Org Profile

Post by quadir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:17 pm

godix wrote:So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again?
I don't understand.

Return to “Site Announcements”