What is this and how do I fix it?

nailz
Org Profile

What is this and how do I fix it?

Post by nailz » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:06 pm

Ok, ripped the lain DVD's and have them in an AVS file for premier, however, upon reviewing the file in premiere or media player, I get these horrible scan lines..

this is the first time I've run into (what I'm assuming is deinterlacing) problems from DVD footage, and I'm no good at video troubleshooting. Give me a quick fix, and all will be good. :D

Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:10 pm

It's what happens when you view interlaced video on a progressive-scan output device. Your quick fix is available via Google or the guides, whichever is faster.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:13 pm

Telecining.

Get the amvapp pack, it should install DeComb.

Open your avisynth file, add in

loadplugin("path2decomb\decomb.dll")

Telecide(guide=1)
Decimate(cycle=5)

my avisynth file is like so :

loadplugin("C:\media tools\filters\mpeg2dec.dll")
loadplugin("C:\media tools\filters\decomb.dll")
mpeg2source("evadisc3.d2v")
Telecide(guide=1)
Decimate(cycle=5)

It helps, but not completely because EVA FOOTAGE SUXORS. May work better on your nice looking lain encodes there.

This basically sets decomb to follow a 3:2 pulldown method of such. Which I believe most people use for telecining.

This should make your video 23.976. Which Premierel likes to view as 23.98. You'd be best to goto Clip|Advanced Options|Intereperet footage then set it to 24fps.

Or there are ways to do actual 23.98 or was it .976 what with slowing the audio down.

Hmmm don't remember those.

Oh or you could leave it the way it is in Premiere and as long as it looks okay then that would work fine.

Or you could take it to virtualdub and cut out parts you need and convert the framerate to 24fps there.

sooo many options.

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:22 pm

guide=1 is a bad idea as it doesnt work for random accessand will mess up the Telecide.

The IVTC example avs in the amvapp tells you this :)

Also, you should get the new version of decomb (4.0) from donald graft's website.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:29 pm

you bashtard stop making me took like a idiot :cry:

It doesn't work for random access, it seems to work in virtualdub @ random points ??

I'll do that tho... There are examples in AMVapp :?: :?:

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:34 pm

Teh help file wrote: Note that this feature buffers the calculations from the 5 frames (NTSC) or 3 frames (PAL) preceding the current frame. Because of this, pattern guidance will not be effective during random frame access (e.g., while jumping around on the VirtualDub timeline). To get the benefit of this feature, play the clip straight through from a starting point; do not use random access). Of course, this is how things are done when encoding, so this limitation is irrelevant during normal operation.

oooooh :shock: I am now enlightened :}

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:35 pm

Sorry
Donald Graft in the Readme for Decomb wrote:Note that this feature buffers the calculations from the 5 frames (NTSC) or 3 frames (PAL) preceding the current frame. Because of this, pattern guidance will not be effective during random frame access (e.g., while jumping around on the VirtualDub timeline). To get the benefit of this feature, play the clip straight through from a starting point; do not use random access).
oh and
klinky wrote:I'll do that tho... There are examples in AMVapp :?: :?:
Start Menu > Programs > AMVapp> Example AVS Scripts

However, I was lying about me saying not to use guide=1 in the AMVapp. It's in the new video guides that aren't out yet. However, it is in the decomb documentation :)

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:36 pm

gah, 1 minute faster :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:43 pm

Moi hahaha

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:46 pm