PCI Express in PCI slot

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

PCI Express in PCI slot

Post by Orwell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

Can I use a PCI express 1x card in a regular PCI slot?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 am

no
pci-express is not compatible with pci

Gox777
Org Profile

Post by Gox777 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:05 pm

I'd like to know what actually uses PCI express 1x
I have all these wasted slots on my mobo in the meantime.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:09 pm

a few video cards (literally about 3)
I think I've seen an ethernet adapter
some sound cards (mostly ones that come packaged with higer-end mobos)
raid controllers are the most common I think
a few usb/firewire cards

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:14 am

D-Link Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Bytecc PCI Express Cards

Matrox releases world's first PCI Express x1 graphics card (yes, there are more...)

And holy crap is that Mac sound card expensive!

As fun as it was searching for those, since most modern PC motherboards have sound, USB, Ethernet, Firewire (sometimes), and occasionally, parallel and serial ports built-in, the need for expansion cards is lower. And most newer motherboards have at least one or two PCI slots available.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Wheee_It's_Me!
Org Profile

Post by Wheee_It's_Me! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:39 am

Willen wrote:since most modern GARBAGE PC motherboards have sound, USB, Ethernet, Firewire (sometimes), and occasionally, parallel and serial ports built-in, the need for expansion cards is lower. And most newer motherboards have at least one or two PCI slots available.
I fixed yer typo! ^_^

Really if you buy a motherboard that has it all built in...it's a cheap ass bitch. Most people don't comprehend just how IMPORTANT it is to buy high grade hardware. It's generally the difference between running Windows and having it crash every 2 minutes and running Windows and NEVER having it crash.

Yes, contrary to popular believe Windows doesn't crash Windows, BAD HARDWARE crashes Windows.

On my primary system it's running with a $500 MSI dual Xeon board, with Infineon EEC memory...yes, you'll probably wind up only getting half as much high grade memory for what you can get with garbageware memory, but it has the MOST significance as far as system stability is concerned.

Further there are actually quite a number of peripherals that make use of PCI-E, much more so than has been claimed in this thread. A quick search on New Egg for "PCI Express" brings up over FOURTEEN HUNDRED products, nearly FIVE HUNDRED just with video cards alone. (of course PCI-Ex16 is much more prevelant than PCI-Ex1 at this point).

Some higher end mother boards don't even HAVE PCI slots because they're considered so deficient and eventually nearlly ALL modern motherboards will be that way (of course by then they'll probably be yet another emerging technology to take its place)
lbh unq n fvt ohg V ngrq vg ;_;

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Okay, now I'm curious. Can you show me some motherboards that DON'T have integrated sound, NIC, and USB? I've been under the impression for a while now that they all did, regardless of price (except <i>maybe</i> the ones meant for servers rather than consumer-grade computers).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Wheee_It's_Me!
Org Profile

Post by Wheee_It's_Me! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Scintilla wrote:Okay, now I'm curious. Can you show me some motherboards that DON'T have integrated sound, NIC, and USB? I've been under the impression for a while now that they all did, regardless of price (except <i>maybe</i> the ones meant for servers rather than consumer-grade computers).
Well I consider the ones meant for servers for personal use...yeah they're more expensive, but they're a LOT more stable, they need to be, cause they're meant for servers and the whole point is as little down-time as possible. Most of the server ones do come with built in NICs though which is kinda handy if yer setting up a cluster.

It's true that a lot of the "consumer-grade" models you're talking about have built in audio boards (most of which are absolute shit) but there are still quite a number that don't have built in video cards. And obviously all boards would come with USB slots.
lbh unq n fvt ohg V ngrq vg ;_;

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 pm

We recently priced a $1500 PCI-E capture card at Queen's for a project we were working on. :)

However, that was the 'Well, we don't have any prototypes left, but we get the engineers to build you one.' price.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Wheee_It's_Me! wrote:
Some higher end mother boards don't even HAVE PCI slots because they're considered so deficient and eventually nearlly ALL modern motherboards will be that way (of course by then they'll probably be yet another emerging technology to take its place)
sound cards still use PCI as well as things like capture cards, TV tuners, ect...
its not near dead yet

most high performance boards come with 2x PCI
and usually 1x PCI-e 1x, 2-3x PCI-e 16x

also the only actually cards on newegg that work with PCI-e, there are only 2 cards
USB and firewire I think

also you cant compare a server mobo with a normal ATX single mobo
there just too different ...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”