I have Final Cut Pro

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Saberstrike
Org Profile

I have Final Cut Pro

Post by Saberstrike » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 pm

First let me say. It's a great program and im a PC convert. I used to use Vegas and Adobe. And man do i miss vegas after trying to learn FCP. I mean it's insane the amount of things you can do. But it seems far form simply to create a good AMV on it. It takes me about 20 mins to get a 7 sec scene the way i want it cause of having to render every scene everytime i make an edit. Vegas was much easier though I admit I still took a long time to get a scene the way i wanted it.

Anyway I guess what im asking here is. Is there a guide or someone here that is really good wioth FCP that i can talk to to learn from. Im looking for a mentor i guess. Also thank you guys for the help with my last post mactheripper with mpegstreamline i think is amazing. works great with FPC.

Thanks again guys rock on!

[MOD 403: moved from video hardware]

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:31 pm

ProTip: Most linear editing software is exactly the same. It's just a question of getting used to new interfaces (and in FCP's case, not having right-click). Yeah, rendering can be a bit of a pain, but at least you can scrub the footage and Apple-R really isn't that hard.

I just made my first FCP-based AMV (actually, FCP and Motion) after several years on Premiere, and the learning curve wasn't that steep at all, so if you're used to multiple editing programs then I don't see why your'e having so much trouble. Take your time, read this if you're really lost, and don't bother looking for a "mentor" - the best way to learn is to self-teach.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 pm

The tutorials on ishtori.net are invaluable.

Also, check out Apple.com's discussion forums for FCP. Don't bother mentioning that you're making any kind of fan video—they frown on that sort of thing BIG TIME over there. (You might even get slapped on the wrist for talking about things like ripping DVDs, but it depends on who sees your post and how you phrase your comment.)

Also a good FCP book will not go amiss. I started with one of the Tom Wolsky books, and it was really helpful. There are many titles for FCP, and some of them can be acquired inexpensively through eBay or Amazon.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:13 am

dokool wrote:ProTip: Most linear editing software is exactly the same. It's just a question of getting used to new interfaces (and in FCP's case, not having right-click).
I use right-click in FCP all the time..
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Re: I have Final Cut Pro

Post by Shazzy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:15 am

Saberstrike wrote: It takes me about 20 mins to get a 7 sec scene the way i want it cause of having to render every scene everytime i make an edit.

Do this:
Drag a clip down on your timeline. Do not do anything else to it. Do you have to render? If yes, your sequence settings are wrong and you could be saving a lot of rendering time by correcting them.

If no, just remember that everything depends on your system's capability. If you have an old comp, it won't be able to handle a lot of real-time effects.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Return to “Mac Software”