Ok, so why are these Hard drives different?

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm

OzzieAlThor79 wrote:2 words: Geek Squad.
I have heard nothing but regrets from people who utilize geek squad.
besides being outrageously priced, they often have little idea what they're looking for/doing.

I'll give them a little credit because they have to work with many different brands/models...but when you take 3 months to tell someone that their ram is bad you have a more solid basis to doubt them.

I should probably do more reaearch on that, as these claims are only based on 3 experiences...but when 3 different experiences spread across 400 miles and a few months you kinda start wondering.

as bashar said it's pretty easy to do...but if you're not sure I would suggest finding someone other than geek squad to do it.

OzzieAlThor79
Org Profile

Post by OzzieAlThor79 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Oh, I know how to do it.

THing is, my wife won't let me near it because it's *her* computer and doesn't want anyone going in there unless they absolutley have too.

Also, we want to transfer what we have on this drive over to a new one first. Is there a way to do that without having 3 Hard Drives?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:39 pm

OzzieAlThor79 wrote: Also, we want to transfer what we have on this drive over to a new one first. Is there a way to do that without having 3 Hard Drives?
Not cost-effectively, no. You need to have both drives connected to transfer the data between them or write everything to storage media (DVD, tape drive, etc.) and re-copy all of that to the new drive (and hope it wasn't corrupted or lost in the process).

OzzieAlThor79
Org Profile

Post by OzzieAlThor79 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:51 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
OzzieAlThor79 wrote: Also, we want to transfer what we have on this drive over to a new one first. Is there a way to do that without having 3 Hard Drives?
Not cost-effectively, no. You need to have both drives connected to transfer the data between them or write everything to storage media (DVD, tape drive, etc.) and re-copy all of that to the new drive (and hope it wasn't corrupted or lost in the process).
I thank you. I thought so.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 am

During sales, Best Buy's prices do become more competitive with the online retailers. For example, during the week of Feb 18 - 24, the hard drive in the first link (160GB SATA) was selling for $59.99 ($79.99 - $20.00) at my local BB. The second one (320GB EIDE) was going for $109.99 ($154.99 - $45.00). Prices do fluctuate and are sometimes different from their online store compared to the brick-and-mortar (B&M) ones.

Aside from getting trained staff to install the drive(s), another advantage to a B&M store is you get to take home the merchandise right away. Plus, if someone screws up, you get to yell at people to their faces instead of someone in a call center miles and miles away. :P
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Hardware Discussion”