2007 VCAs Begin!

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:59 am

This also wouldn't address the wide variety of other non-english songs that people use. I've seen videos with Russian, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Korean, Chinese, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Japanese, and many more. Not to mention that getting correct spelling for these songs and artists is probably asking for a miracle considering some people here can barely spell words in their native language.

Plus, there's a giant chunk of videos that use movie trailer audio, TV commercials, spoken audio, and other sources instead of songs. And don't forget the (usually horrible) renditions of songs used in the Iron Chef Idol MEPs 'sung' by the participants. I kid, some performances are pretty good.

Having said this, I still support something to be done to clean up the more egregious errors (Likin Park, Lincoln Park, Linken Park, -linkin park-, **Linken Park**, **Linken Park**, and other similar misspellings, plus the variations that include the song name and/or the album name with the artist name). The scary thing is, doing this will probably add about 2000 more entires to Linkin Park's over 5000 AMV count. :|
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:45 am

Even with the "random" entries, a significant portion of the database would be cleared up with the method trythil suggested. It may have to be part of a multi-tiered strategy, but it would more than likely fix a good 80% of the problems by itself.

The results would, sadly, still have to be sifted through by volunteers.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:40 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Even with the "random" entries, a significant portion of the database would be cleared up with the method trythil suggested. It may have to be part of a multi-tiered strategy, but it would more than likely fix a good 80% of the problems by itself.

The results would, sadly, still have to be sifted through by volunteers.
Well, basically the key work is volunteers...

Anyway, this dicussion is best left for another thread :wink:

Vlad

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Willen wrote:This also wouldn't address the wide variety of other non-english songs that people use. I've seen videos with Russian, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Korean, Chinese, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Japanese, and many more. Not to mention that getting correct spelling for these songs and artists is probably asking for a miracle considering some people here can barely spell words in their native language.
Find me some that don't exist in the MB database, and it's not too hard to get them entered. The replicated database I wrote about can, and should, be regularly synced with MB's master database.

The problem of non-music sources can be addressed initially by the overrides table I wrote about. As time goes on, we can look into linking that up to some other source.

As far as spelling and the like go...well, yes, that will still be a problem.

My proposal is designed to provide an approximate solution to the technical problems of tracking and merging duplicates, and maintaining a list of audio sources. It cannot address, and was not meant to address, the larger social problem of stupid and/or lazy people.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:47 am

Hi All,

The second round of the VCAs has arrived! Go vote for your favorite videos from the semi-Final lists!

However, I'm also sad to say that we've found a few cheaters in our community who thought they could get away with stacking votes :( ... but we've taken care of that and they will be dealt with...

Vlad

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:57 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Hi All,

The second round of the VCAs has arrived! Go vote for your favorite videos from the semi-Final lists!

However, I'm also sad to say that we've found a few cheaters in our community who thought they could get away with stacking votes :( ... but we've taken care of that and they will be dealt with...

Vlad
Hot damn, I made the semis out of nowhere. Ego boost :up:!

I look forward to seeing how FMH competes in the "Who's Going To Lose To Doki" category.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:32 am

dokool wrote:

Vlad

I look forward to seeing how FMH competes in the "Who's Going To Lose To Doki" category.

Actually, it's sad because he's probably gonna split his vote like poor JCD did in the dance category last year. :(
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:44 am

Ileia wrote:
dokool wrote:

Vlad

Actually, it's sad because he's probably gonna split his vote like poor JCD did in the dance category last year. :(
Hmm, didn't think of that. Time to raise the dead and make'm all register! :wink:

On another note, when did :up: become an actual icon?

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:53 am

It's above the last line, you musta' put an extra tag somewhere... anyway I can't really make it out...

thirdjukebox
Org Profile

Interesting Stats

Post by thirdjukebox » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 pm

look into the void and slap a midget.

Return to “Site Announcements”