Help dear god !! Final cut compression

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Galatron
Org Profile

Help dear god !! Final cut compression

Post by Galatron » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:56 am

I have about a 30 minute movie made in final cut and im looking to export it to drop onto IDVD ... whats the best way to do this. It seems dv/dvcpro ntsc is exporting the file way bigger than I can fit on a disk and other formats are coming out really shitty looking I just cant seem to figure out which is the best quality for the least amount of space ... please help

thanks

Ryan

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:21 pm

In Final Cut Pro, with your sequence timeline open, do this:

File > Export > QuickTime Movie. Leave the "make movie self-contained" box unchecked. Leave all other settings alone.

Open up iDVD and start a new project. Choose the theme you want.

Go to Project > Add Movie. This adds a movie placeholder to your menu.

Click the Media button in the lower right corner of iDVD. If your QuickTime movie from Final Cut is not in your Movies folder on your hard drive, drag it there OR go to iDVD > Preferences > Movies and add the folder your move is in to the "Look for my movies in these folders" area.

Once your movie shows up in the Media area, drag the movie to the movie placeholder button we created a few steps ago.

Customize anything else you want and then save and export.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Galatron
Org Profile

Post by Galatron » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 pm

I really appretiate the reply unfortunatly from there I get more problems

A) My movie is 30 minutes long and when exported becomes about 6.5 gigs or so

Does IDVD compress at all or have any method of fitting that onto a disc that im missing?

I think the biggest thing im having a hard time with is trying to get this to fit onto a disc and be able to play in a dvd player?

any suggestions?

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Yes, iDVD compresses to MPEG-2 when you actually burn the DVD from WITHIN iDVD.

When you are finished with your iDVD project, you can burn it to a recordable DVD disc.

Burn a disc only when you are sure that you are finished with your project. Because it can take some time to encode and burn a project, you want to make sure that you don't discover errors in a project later and then have to burn the project again.

iDVD can write to DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R DL (Double Layer) discs. Make sure that your SuperDrive can burn discs in the disc format you choose. For projects that can fit on a single-layer disc, DVD-R is the recommended disc format.

Before burning your DVD, be sure you have at least twice as much free space as your project uses available on your hard disk, to allow for encoding and burning. Check the DVD Capacity meter in the Project Info window to determine the size of your project. For example, if your project uses 4.0 GB, you need at least 8.0 GB of free space on your hard disk.

To burn your DVD:
Click the Burn button to indicate you are ready to burn.

When prompted, insert a recordable DVD disc into the drive.

If you insert a rewritable disc (DVD-RW or DVD+RW) that isn't blank, iDVD asks whether you want to erase the disc.

iDVD first encodes your project's information and then burns it to the disc. Depending on the complexity of a project, some projects may take longer to encode and burn. iDVD shows the progress of the encoding and burning as it happens.

The time it takes to burn also depends on the speed of your computer and SuperDrive.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:11 pm

I circled the burn button for you.

AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV

Galatron
Org Profile

Post by Galatron » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:24 pm

One last thing, I unchecked the box to make the movie self contained and then burned like a 30 second clip just to test it out and when I tried to open it after it was exported to quicktime I received a bunch of error messages ... is there something else I should have checked off?

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:11 pm

You need to provide more information so I can help you.

What are the exact error messages you received?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV

Return to “Mac Software”