Anime Mid Atlantic 2007 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Anime Mid Atlantic 2007 AMV Contest

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:04 am

These are the rules for Anime Mid Atlantic 2007 AMV Contest unless the con chair says otherwise. I'll be hosting the AMV Contest this year for AMA.

Categories

There will be four categories this year.

Drama
Romance
Action
Comedy
Upbeat (depending on the submissions)

The top three submissions in each category are voted on by the audience. Our hand-selected panel of judges and the convention chairman choose our special Judge’s favorite and Chairman’s Awards respectively. (I'm also thinking about instead of Best of Show or also having a judges pick for each category. More information on that at a later time.)

Deadline

Tuesday, May 15th 2007

All entries MUST be submitted no later then this. Any entry arriving after this date will not be considered, so make sure to get them in ASAP!!!

Submission Form

You must include a separate form for each AMV that you submit.
The form should be nothing more then a normal .txt file that contains the following information:

- Title of AMV
- Full legal name
- Nickname, if applicable
- Mailing address
- Telephone number (including area code)
- Email address
- Song title(s), artist(s), and recording label(s)
- Name of source video footage
- Name of category you are submitting to

You must include ALL of that information before your video will be considered for the contest. If you are unsure about any of the information please look it up, as it is all crucial information.

To make things easier, we would prefer that you use the naming convention of “Editor’s name – AMV title” to name both your AMV and submission form so that we can make sure to keep them together.
(i.e. “John Smith – My AMV.avi” and “John Smith – My AMV.txt”).

Submission Format

All submissions must meet the following standards:

- 720 x 480 resolution
- 29.97 frames per second OR 23.976 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown
- Non-Interlaced video (Progressive)
- 48000 Hz audio

Any of the following encoding formats may be used, provided that they meet the above standards:

Video:
- MPEG 1 or 2
- HuffYUV avi
- Uncompressed avi
- Divx avi
- Xvid avi

Audio:
- Uncompressed wav (PCM)
- MPEG audio (mp3, mp2, etc.)

Rules

1) All entries *MUST* conform to the formats listed above.

2) Due to issues with formatting, videos encoded using Windows Movie Maker are ineligible. You can download a free 30-day trial of Adobe Premiere Pro from http://adobe.com/support/downloads/ if you need an alternate video editor.

3) A maximum of two submissions per person, one per category is allowed.

4) Entries must not exceed 5:00 minutes running time in length.

5) Submission should be recent work (i.e. made within the last year or so) and that the amv if you submit it should not have won any previous awards before the contest.

6) The following excessive materials are not allowed: nudity, violence, racial or verbal obscenities.

7) Dubbed sound from licensed commercial translation is NOT allowed.

7a) Subtitles will only be allowed if you put them in there yourself. If we think that the subtitles are from a fansub we will disqualify your video. (Last year they did not allow any subtitles, but I feel that if your video should use subtitles for some reason or text of any type that you should be allowed to use it as long as we can tell that you did the text yourself otherwise it will be disqualified from the contest.)

8) All entries must be accompanied by a completely filled out submission form. (see above)

9) Mailed submissions must have your name, phone number, address, and submission information clearly written on the jewel case and the media itself.

10) Mailed submission materials become the property of Anime Mid-Atlantic, and are non-returnable.

11) Only the best quality submissions will be eligible to compete. Submissions with significant audio or visual degradation will not be accepted.

12) Prizes will be presented during closing ceremonies on Sunday. If the contestant is not attending the convention, he/she is responsible for arranging for receipt of their prize at their own expense however, plaques and certificates will be mailed out after the convention courtesy of Anime Mid-Atlantic. All prizes not claimed by June 30, 2007 will become property of the convention.

13) Copies of the contest will not be available due to legal concerns.

14) Anime Mid-Atlantic is not responsible for lost, stolen, misdirected, or damaged entries, prizes, etc.

15) We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason at any time. Although unlikely, rules are subject to change. If any major changes are necessary to your video, we will attempt to contact you.

16) This is a given anybody on the AMV Staff can not submit to this contest but still can have their videos shown as non-competing entries.

Any questions you can email me at genestarwind21122@yahoo.com for more details.

Also we'll be posting the mailing address soon. If you want to submit we'll try to get ftp up but I'll also except any videos that you can upload to yousendit.com and megaupload.com. Just make sure your quality doesn't suffer.

Good luck everybody and hope to see some great videos for this years contest.

Gene Starwind 21122

Mailing Address

Anime Mid-Atlantic
P.O. Box 2636
Glen Allen, VA 23060
Last edited by genestarwind21122 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:24 am

What happened to Joykiller?

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:56 am

I just found out at Katsucon that he just recently stepped down from running the contest. So instead of letting the contest go and not having it at all. I decided to forgo from entering the contest this year. Trust me I have ran contest at Community Colleges and I feel that I can handle this. I'll do my best. Plus if I have any problems I know I can ask other creators here who have run contest in the past.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 am

@_@

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 am

genestarwind21122 wrote:I just found out at Katsucon that he just recently stepped down from running the contest. So instead of letting the contest go and not having it at all. I decided to forgo from entering the contest this year. Trust me I have ran contest at Community Colleges and I feel that I can handle this. I'll do my best. Plus if I have any problems I know I can ask other creators here who have run contest in the past.
Ooh, first time running a major competition. Good luck :wink:

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm always online so anybody has any questions about the contest I usually will get back to you on the same day.

LunaAislin
Org Profile

OMFG

Post by LunaAislin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Dude grats on taking over the AMV contest. Your right Joykiller and myself decided to discontinue staffing AMA. It's a big barrel of worms to handle but I think youll find it to be an interesting experience to say the least. We will be attending and watching so I hope you continue the Joykiller legacy of running a flawless competition accepting nearly all formats with clean and verifiable judging that starts and ends on time! I feel bad for you not realizing when you came in that AMA didnt supply the FTP site, email addresses, significant prizes, or most other luxuries of the contest. Unfortunately I've also stepped down from my sponsorship position. I'm sure you will make do though! I wish you the best and can't wait to see it.
Last edited by LunaAislin on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joykiller
Longwinded Cynic
Org Profile

Post by Joykiller » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:What happened to Joykiller?
I heard that he died in a firey Adobe Premiere crash 0_o...

Ok maybe not.

Actually, a lot of factors played a role in my decision to not do the contest, but it mostly has to do with my not really being able to dedicate myself fully to the contest due to other obligations I have right now.

Last year's contest took a solid 3 months of working more hours then I put in at my regular job, and this year I just don't have that sort of time to dedicate to the contest.
I would still do it, but I couldn't be proud of it if I half assed it, so I decided to step down.

I will be glad to help out Bryan as much as I can though. If you need anything you know how to get in touch.

To the rest of you that submitted the past two years, you all rock! Thank you for making my time as coordinator a truely memorable and enjoyable one!! Who knows, maybe if time permits you may just see me doing a contest again :P

<3

-Drew "Joykiller" Stallings
Last edited by Joykiller on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:56 pm

If I can't get an FTP up and running I am excepting submissions by yousendit.com and megaupload.com. Those work just as well.

LunaAislin
Org Profile

Post by LunaAislin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:06 pm

genestarwind21122 wrote:If I can't get an FTP up and running I am excepting submissions by yousendit.com and megaupload.com. Those work just as well.
Well that sounds good in theory but #1 the coordination with other peoples schedules and also the fact that you send it only does 100MB for free acounts is an issue. (you'll rarely if ever get submissions that small and if you do the quality is probably to shitty to show anyways)

Megaupload your going to encounter some restrictions but itll probably be your best bet. We have however in the past taken submissions from those places.

Let the conchair know you need an FTP and maybe youll have more luck than we ever did. I know youll find an excellent way to handle the submissions. Alot of submissions DO come by mail :)

Return to “AMV Contests”