Discovering Music

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Beowulf
Org Profile

Discovering Music

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43 am

Isn't it incredible that you can go through your ENTIRE life discovering new incredible music?

I just heard The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" recently, and its one of the most beautiful recordings I've ever heard. What an absolute masterpiece. For those of you who don't really know The Beach Boys, or only know their Surfin U.S.A. type stuff, do yourself a favor and grab Pet Sounds. Its the milestone that inspired The Beatles to do Sgt. Pepper, just to put it into perspective.

When you hear the album, realize that it was made in 1966, several years before ANY of that 60s psychedelia became common place. Also realize that the album was made by and large by ONE person, Brian Wilson.

:up:

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:00 pm

I think EK had Wouldn't It Be Nice played at her wedding :up:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:I think EK had Wouldn't It Be Nice played at her wedding :up:
aww that makes me cry Image

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:37 pm

It's pretty amazing, I think Brian Wilson was only like 23 or something when he made it. He set out to make the greatest rock album of all time...and he succeeded, for a while, before getting bitch-slapped by the boys across the pond :lol:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:10 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:It's pretty amazing, I think Brian Wilson was only like 23 or something when he made it. He set out to make the greatest rock album of all time...and he succeeded, for a while, before getting bitch-slapped by the boys across the pond :lol:
While history undoubtedly has favored Sgt. Pepper, I wouldn't put them too far apart as far as artistic accomplishments in song writing and production. I think Pet Sounds is a better album all the way through, where as Sgt. Pepper has (a lot of) moments of greatness throughout. To me, the second half of Sgt. Pepper is hit or miss, where as Pet Sounds is paced a bit better.

Day in the Life is still the best song ever imo :up:

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 pm

God Only Knows is one of my all time favorite songs.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “General Discussion”