A Yu-Gi-Oh question? (Warning to 56K users)

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:49 am

There are often many problems with dubs.

However - it's hard to know where the blame should be placed.

Example - I was in one title and the guy doing the voice direction did a very good job... but there was this huge list of words he couldn't use in the script... it was absurd! During the recording, some of the actors said "why don't we just say (this)" and you could hear his frustration.

Example - A bad director can lead to a bad dub. I have heard good voice actors and actresses give lousy performances... and it's because the director had no idea what he was doing... didn't even understand the show.

Example - A friend of mine is a very good voice director... but he is sometimes at odds with Japanese execs who don't believe we have a culture. He tried to argue with them that "TEMPLAR" was a real word (which it is), but they forced him to use the term "CHURCH KNIGHTS" and weren't interested in discussion.

Example - A Gundam game has New York spelled as New Yark. Many people have pointed out the error, but the Japanese exec REFUSED to allow the spelling to be changed.

So... problems can exist in the rules of the FCC, bad directors, or even problems from the Japanese companies who are trying to call shots on how English should be spoken, when they themselves can't speak it. I've seen all three happen...

True... I just get the Japanese with English subtitles... and though there are plenty of problems that can crop up from subtitles... I just happen to prefer (in most cases) to hear the series in its original language.

-Uncle Milo

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:55 am

Well, I prefer my anime dubbed. But, I guess that is just me on these boards.

IamSD
Org Profile

Post by IamSD » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:19 pm

If it's a good dub, then whoopeedoo! I like it too! But most dubs really suck, and I can admit that. That's why I like subtitles a lot better.

I remember when I used to watch season one digimon, I used to hear things that weren't right. Mimi said (in the english version) that she had a brother. Yet, mimi doesn't have a brother. It was supposed to be "cousin" but the dubber or directors fudged it up and it was wierd. So, if you look, there are tons of fanrings and clubbie things dedicated to "Mimi's Lost Brother". lol yep...

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:48 pm

No, most dubs DON'T suck. Of course, this is my opinion, and unlike some of you, I don't try and force my opinions on people.

projekt_navi
Org Profile

Post by projekt_navi » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:30 am

good O' edits ... always show proof that japanese is always better 8)

.... and besides ... who watches yu-gi-oh 0_0
A Fire Inside <<< AFI ... very good punk-rock band ... no shitty linkin park music ... pure rock :twisted:

milfeulle_nyo
Org Profile

Post by milfeulle_nyo » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:04 am

The Cardcaptor Sakura dub (Cardcaptors) edited out anything that seemed Japanese, like the writing and such.

They even call Tokyo Tower the "radio tower".

kinda hurts the asian pride here.

Anime Jedi
Org Profile

Post by Anime Jedi » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:58 pm

Well, I agree about how dubbed series are stupid about editing everything and that it just makes things harder to understand :cry: . Like when you see a guy get punched in the stomach and they even edit out the blood coming out of their mouth. This just makes you think they are taking a nice long breath of air. But it is the dubbed series that are on tv, so that's what I watch. Also, I don't like trying to keep up with the subtitles while watching the show or movie and what people say in the subtitles is a little too complex for regular speech.

Return to “General Anime”