WMM: HELP!!! - Codec problem

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Is it even a codec problem anymore? It's upset with all file types it seems.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

BlaCk_PeArL_27
Org Profile

Post by BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm

:lol: yeah it is.... :>XD

Well thanks WhiteAsh ^_^ some of my files and work is pretty smoothly working with no probs ;)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:58 pm

as black_pearl_27 said, it is still a codec problem.
where's Jaddziadax when you need her...

I'll just post a pic she put up. (it probably took longer to find it than it would have taken for me to make and upload one myself...)
see the two circled buttons? those are the mark-in and mark-out buttons.

go to the first frame that you want to encode and click the mark-in button (the one on the left)
go to the last frame you want to encode and click the mark-out button (the one on the left)
if your selection is big enough, you will see that blue bar.
it marks the footage that will be encoded when you save

by default, vdub/mod selects all of the video that you import.

now go to file and click "save as"
near the bottom, you should see a box that says "full processing mode"
you can change it to fast recompress...but it won't really hurt your video quality if you leave it as full processing mode.
below that should be the codec that your video will be encoded with. If it doesn't say huffyuv or lagarith, click the "change" button and select huffy or lagarith from the list.
(you can also do this by going to video and clicking "compression". it'l give you the same list of codecs, the only difference is where and when you select the codec)

after that, name your file and click save.

if you are still unsure about vdubmod, read this

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:00 pm

I've been sitting back and reading all this and cannot help but scratch my head. I recall back in February of 2003 I made a video with WMM. I will admit, I used footage not ripped from DVDs and they were a wide array of sources (Xvid, Divx, WMV). But the kicker... it was 30mins long and I had NO problem editing it (aside from the occasional crash) and exporting.

What I think is that your WMM might just be overly buggy. Have you looked for any past updates released since Service Pack 2? Are you POSITIVE your computer can run it. No viruses, trojans, ad-ware, etc on your PC. Plenty of HD space. Run a De-frag. Check all this out. It may be something lurking on the inside of your PC and not the clips themselves.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:36 pm

whiteash wrote: http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-Acce ... odecs.html

Just read and rename as needed.
DL'd 16 new Security Updates from Windows Update.

Did this papajohn thing, discovered a whole bunch of these "errors" but I don't see how to "check" them off. Says I can do something about deleting them.

Tried another test file, all wmvs, it worked! Tried avis, no good.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Tried marking the encoding thing like you said - I see a little... "notch" in the line at the bottom, but there isn't a blue line between the notches.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:41 pm

It just seems like there should be an easy fix to this - I'm so close... I don't get why I have to re-encode all these episodes, clips at a time, when it worked for me fine for years...

whiteash
Org Profile

Post by whiteash » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:01 pm

You need to follow the instructions. It says to rename the problem codecs you have so they have a * in their name... or something along those lines. Doing this helped my WMM A LOT.

BlaCk_PeArL_27
Org Profile

Post by BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:25 pm

pinky75910 wrote:Tried marking the encoding thing like you said - I see a little... "notch" in the line at the bottom, but there isn't a blue line between the notches.
It shouldn't reaally blue totally as long as it shown (you see) how small or large your clips to be encode in Vdub/Mod. If you see something highlighted color in the bar that means your in the right track.

I don't know why you can't fix the easy problem just my suggestion is re-check all of those stuff you've got and if it's easy for you try those one by one if it's works.... "_" I'm running out of idea.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:36 pm

BlaCk_PeArL_27 wrote:
pinky75910 wrote:Tried marking the encoding thing like you said - I see a little... "notch" in the line at the bottom, but there isn't a blue line between the notches.
It shouldn't reaally blue totally as long as it shown (you see) how small or large your clips to be encode in Vdub/Mod. If you see something highlighted color in the bar that means your in the right track.

I don't know why you can't fix the easy problem just my suggestion is re-check all of those stuff you've got and if it's easy for you try those one by one if it's works.... "_" I'm running out of idea.
I really appreciate everyone's help. I wanna try a few things, but right now I'm saving some files onto disks. I pressed the buttons you pointed to, but it didn't seem to make a difference - it didn't make the blue line that you have.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”