Windows VISTA - Seriously Scary!

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 pm

New software is bound to have bugs and Vista is no exception but that one is somewhat silly...

Speech recognition designed to process audio and translate that into type or actions is designed to do just that... If a malicious sound is played on a system with speakers and an attached microphone... and the user has speech recognition enabled then I don't really see a problem with the programming. You can't stop a stupid user from executing a trojan and messing up their system... you can only hope to educate them so that they are more ware that running random stuff they got from an unreputable source can be a bad idea.

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 pm

dokool wrote:
Scintilla wrote:How is Vista with computer games? I don't mean just the games of the Win32 era; I also want to know how it handles things like the Windows Entertainment Packs and DOS games.

I still hold that some of the games made in the 386 era were some of the best computer games ever.
I've heard that Vista has problems with recent stuff, so I wouldn't trust it too much with the older games.
Games I've run on vista with no problems (so far):

Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Carbon
Fear
Fear Extraction Point
Quake 4
Rome: Total War
Dawn of War
Dawn of War Dark Crusade
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Rise of Legends
Company of Heroes <-- kick ass game. Get it!)
Star Wars 3 (the legos thing)
The sims
Sim City 4 < -- I did experience some strange screen flickering with this one
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
Serious Sam
PainKiller
PainKiller2 Battle out of Hell
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Programs I've used:

Photoshop
Indesign
Lightwave
Premiere
Manga Studio 3.0
Office 2000 (it's pretty old, but hey... it still works)
Terragen .9
Terragen 2 tech preview
cccp app
virtualdub
avisynth
dvd decryptor

Problems I've found thus far:

Quicktime doesn't like the Aero gel style color scheme and it forces the system to downgrade the visuals when you run it.
Creative only has a 'beta' driver for the Adugy2 zs thx card.
When I switch off of the box using a KVM switch long enough for the machine to go into a sleep mode, the damm thing won't recognize the wakeup forcing me to restart.
Windows Defender defaults are really really annoying, as the version I have doesn't have a "do this everytime for this program" button when you click accept to let some things run.
The network interface for setting up multiple NIC cards, and IP addresses is kind of a pain, in that it's new for me.
The description for 'public' and 'private' network seems backwards to me for some reason. (maybe it's just me)
The whole *media center* thing is kind of a waste for me.

Stuff I haven't done yet:

I haven't really experimented with any DRM content, or High Def content yet (other than downloaded battlestar galactica episodes which play fine)
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Corran wrote:You can't stop a stupid user from executing a trojan and messing up their system... you can only hope to educate them so that they are more ware that running random stuff they got from an unreputable source can be a bad idea.
That's bullcrap, and you know it. If the user doesn't have wheel and the trojan doesn't have any escalation holes to exploit, it's plenty possible.

Microsoft just isn't good enough to pull it off.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:46 pm

when i went to the site and saw that today, i took one look at his nametag and thought "ya, thats probably about right..."
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 am

Now I know who is to blame for the weird sounds in Vista. :P

Robert Fripp - Behind the scenes at Windows Vista recording session

However, it seems Microsoft's commitees rejected Fripp's music. So I can blame the commitees now. :x
Insert clever text/image here.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 am

Yea, I watched the original session way back when. :D

Blame the committees indeed. Fripp was top-notch Frippy as always.

(Grumpy on a Stool, by the way, is a reference to Fripp for those who forgot)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

Just a little example of Vista's awesomeness Care Of CoderJoe.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:18 am

Fall_Child42 wrote:http://www.boochsack.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

Just a little example of Vista's awesomeness Care Of CoderJoe.
Much of that was the idiot kept saying stuff he didn't want on the screen. When dealing with voice recognition you don't say a god damned thing unless you want it inputted on the computer. Plus at least a couple problems were his pronunciation, when he was going for a capital N I would have thought he said 'M' as well if I didn't know what he was trying to do already. And, of course, sighing and saying things in a quick angry voice and most importantly with a different vocal inflection doesn't help. That video says more about how some people just don't understand how to use voice recognition more than anything about windows vista. I'm not a MS cocksucker but come on, that guy was just a moron.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:04 am

Most of said was true, But it was indeed funny.

However he did give Valient efforts (an not misspronounced efforts from what i can hear) in trying to write INFO

I know if i were to use speech recognition, there are plenty of times i would need to use Acronyms like UNESCO NEP KEEP PERL etc.

and if this is any indication, it would be mind numbingly difficult.

also, while i agree at least half the problem was his saying extra things, the "print" word at the end seemed pretty clear to me.

(I'm gonna stick with Dragon Dictate, it seems to work better.)

Return to “General Discussion”