Video format question

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Mika Saigo
Org Profile

Video format question

Post by Mika Saigo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:06 pm

I'm ok with the mechanics of premiere, but the technical stuff kills me. I've made several videos using .mpeg and .avi files for source material, but a friend of mine told me you'll get better quality if you rip straight from the dvd (I use SmartRipper) and simply change the file extension to .mp4. I tried this and lo and behold, the quality is much better, however, I cannot for the life of me get the videos to then import into premiere. I'm using 6.0, but do I lack a proper codec? Am I just completely off my rocker and totally doing this wrong? Please assist this technical noob oh great and wise amv creators~!
"Someone told me that love makes the world go round. well, i just had to laugh in their face, 'cause come on, everyone knows that what makes the world go round is a mutant gerbil on a treadmill"

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:50 am

did you just rip the vob file and change the extension to .mp4?

maybe some of your questions are answered if you Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Re: Video format question

Post by Gepetto » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 am

Mika Saigo wrote:a friend of mine told me you'll get better quality if you rip straight from the dvd (I use SmartRipper) and simply change the file extension to .mp4.
Your friend has no idea what he's talking about. Changing the .VOB's extension is just a way to bypass Premiere's lack of will to import .VOB files, but the file is still a .VOB and Premiere still won't seek through it properly, even if you could import. Read through the guide Purge linked you to, it explains in detail what you need to do.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Mika Saigo
Org Profile

Post by Mika Saigo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate the quick replies. :)
"Someone told me that love makes the world go round. well, i just had to laugh in their face, 'cause come on, everyone knows that what makes the world go round is a mutant gerbil on a treadmill"

Return to “Adobe Software”