Ripping DVD video without a DVD drive.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:09 pm

How would I get dropped frames? I don't know exactly what is needed but I am sure that this comp has it.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:20 pm

Well to capture uncompressed video @ 640x480 @ 29.97fps you would need a sustained transfer rate of 26.3MegaBytes/sec. Most hard drives aren't going to provide that to you.

My 7200rpm drives can do around 28MB/sec sustained, but the longer and father along the drive you go, the slower it gets, some parts slow down to 13 - 10MB/sec. Which would mean you'd start dropping frames like crazy.

Also the question is why? A uncompressed RGB avi has no benefits over huffYUV compressed avi. The HuffYUV is just smaller.

Then the fact that you're thinking of converting it to a 600MB divx file!? There is no point to that as you'd just spent upwards of 60+ GB capturing the footage, why fuck up your kwality by converting it down to only a 600MB divx file. Further more why even capture in HuffYUV or Uncompressed RGB, just capture in DivX if that's what you plan to do anyways, it would save you some time(not suggesting you do anything with divx though, except for final export).

Most computers will choke when trying to capture/process uncompressed AVI simply because there is so much data.

~klinky

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:28 pm

It would be 700 megs not 600, I just thought that capturing it as an uncompressed AVI would help sustain the quality over the transfer. And it wouldn't just be to DIVX, I would also be monkeying around trying to make a decend VCD as well. This comp has 512 megs of RAM, a 1.1 GHz P3 as well. I would HOPE my comp could send over an uncompressed AVI. My Main focus is to have the best quality. How much would I loose after having it go from huffYUV over to MPG, that I would not loose if it were an uncompressed AVI?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:56 pm

HuffYUV is lossless, read up. Lossless = NO QUALITY LOSS. It uses a quick form of the huffman compression algorithm to compress YUV color data. huffman is lossless, it could be compared to what ZIP files use to compress things like programs and data files, which if a chunk was missing out of there then you'd be screwed.

Anyways. There is really no difference. Besides the possibility of a odd bug in huffYUV that pops up from time to time, where your video gets rainbow colors mixed in it, there is no quality difference between huffYUV and uncompressed RGB video.

HuffYUV is still huge, but it's quick and does reduce the load that your hard drive uses. for 640x480 video @ 29.97. I'd say it's about 700 - 900MB/Min. Uncompressed would be about 1500MB/min.

600MB - 700MB, it doesn't matter you're compressing it down big time anyways. Also Premiere doesn't like divx most of the time, so you'd be walking on a thin line there.

One more thing to think about @ 700MB/min, you're looking at 16.5GB per 24minute episode. You'd be better off capturing only portions you need and not the entire DVD.

~klinky

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:09 pm

Well, I'm sold. And BTW, I am well versed in the horrors of the Premiere/Divx relationship.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:39 pm

btw, how much quality will I loose if I use an S-Video cable?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:45 pm

Assuming your cap card doesn't have component input, s-video is the best thing to use.

If quality is really so important to you, and you don't really plan to use the cap card to grab stuff off tv/vhs, you could probably sell it for enough to buy a DVD drive, which would be a lot faster, and remove all quality related issues.

even a really cheap crappy $29 DVD should be able to rip at more than 1x

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:51 pm

the thing is, I already have this, and with this cap card I can also rip VHS along with the DVD's. And I doubt that I can sell this card.

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:40 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:the thing is, I already have this, and with this cap card I can also rip VHS along with the DVD's. And I doubt that I can sell this card.
I've seen Real Estate from Mars selling for $100s of dollars on Ebay... hey! is that auction for Walt Disney's Colon done yet??? o.0

yep the possibilitys are endless but what's the possibility of you ever buying a vhs?? If you haven't yet I doubt if you ever will :lol:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”